21 - Wiener Soldier

Content. In her sleep she was completely content. 

She could feel the warmth of his skin against her back, the comfort of his arm draped over her and holding her close. His breath on the back of her neck. The comfort of safety soothed her, sang to her, kept her from the darkness. For the first time in a long time she slept soundly and as she woke she swam in a sea of bliss.

*

Talia lay with her eyes closed, pressed up against him as his chest rose and fell rhythmically. She smiled to herself as his gentle snores broke the silence and his grip tightened around her. She could lay here forever and never tire of the happiness it brought her to be held by him. Her heart fluttered as her mind ran over the night before; the urgency of their kisses, the gentleness of his touch. She wasn't sure how, or even when, but Steve Rogers had snuck up on her heart and buried himself deep inside it, claiming it, and she was giving it willingly.

The soft buzz of her phone on the nightstand pulled her attention away from her thoughts. Slowly she slipped from beneath Steve's arm, looking over her shoulder with a smile at the sleeping soldier beside her as she sat on the edge of the bed. She reached for her phone, distracted once again by thoughts of his skin against hers.

The number wasn't saved.

Sam is refusing to wake up for a run. Steve said you wake up early.

Talia laughed lightly as the next message came in.

Want to run?

She got up, tiptoeing to the closet as she typed out her response.

Seems like Steve told you quite a bit about me Barnes. Did he mention anything else I should know about?

Tying her hair back she grabbed some leggings and a t-shirt from the drawer. Her phone buzzed again and she grinned as she read Bucky's message.

Come running and I'll tell you everything.

She slipped on the outfit she'd picked out and walked to the bathroom, grabbing her toothbrush as another message came through.

Trust me Little Widow. You're going to want to come running.

*

Her lungs were burning as she tried to keep her pace. Healing had taken its toll on her body and her chest heaved with stress as she realised she had become weaker since her arrival. Ahead of her Bucky's stride was steady and he laughed as she huffed behind him.

"Come on Romanoff. I'm not even trying here." He was sarcastic and if it wasn't for the fact she could see he was grinning she might have been annoyed.

"You," she huffed, pushing herself harder, falling in line just a few paces behind him, "you said you'd tell me."

"Sorry Little Widow," he shook his head as he propelled himself forwards with even more power, "I lied."

"Bucky Barnes, you are a cruel, cruel man."

Bucky laughed as he span to face her, still running, his stride never breaking as he moved backwards. He ran his eyes over the length of her and nodded as he smirked.

"I am The Winter Soldier, Talia."

When he turned again Talia grimaced and shot him a look of irritation.

"More like The Wiener Soldier," she muttered under her breath.

Bucky slowed to a stop, his laughter echoing around them, bouncing off of buildings and settling in the air as he ran his hand through his hair. Talia stopped beside him, still struggling to breathe and clutching her side as she grinned. His laugh was infectious and buoyant.

"Did you just call me The Wiener Soldier?" He took a swig of water before offering her his bottle, biting his lip as he tried not to laugh again.

"Yes," she grinned taking the bottle from his hand and bringing it to her lips. "I think it suits you."

Bucky rolled his eyes and pouted as she laughed.

"And here I was thinking we could actually be friends Talia. My mistake."

He flinched as she flicked the bottle towards him, splashing him as she laughed.

"You are so dramatic," she giggled, unaware of the SUV approaching; the same SUV that had been tailing them for four blocks.

*

The man sat and watched her. She was smiling, laughing; she was playful. It was almost as if he could hear her laughter in the stale air around him. He could remember a time when it was normal to hear that laugh almost every day. When it was his boss who brought it out. He could remember how much light she could bring to the room after another evening in the dark.

"Boss?" He spoke into the phone with his eyes trained on her. "I've got her."

She took the water bottle offered to her.

"No she's not alone."

She splashed the man with the metal arm.

"I think it's him: The Winter Soldier."

He turned the corner just after they had, trailing a few meters behind them as they laughed and pushed each other.

"Got it Boss. I'll see you soon."

*

The car pulled up beside them and a door swung open, hitting Talia across the chest. As she gasped for breath and tried to correct herself tears spilled from her eyes.

Bucky was on the ground, his eyes closed and his forehead bleeding and Talia felt the cold grip of hands on her waist as a sickeningly sweet scent clung to her throat and nose, fabric pressed against her lips, and her eyes became heavy. As consciousness slipped from her grasp she could think of one thing and one thing only: Steve.

*

His arms were empty. They definitely shouldn't be empty. He groaned as an unfamiliar feeling settled in his stomach. He had wanted to wake up wrapped around her, holding her, and he felt disappointed that she wasn't there. He tried to remind himself that Talia woke early every morning, like clockwork, so he shouldn't worry. 

As flickers of the night before flashed behind his eyes Steve knew he didn't need to worry. 

Opening his eyes to the early morning light Steve sighed and rolled onto his back, a smile growing as last night played over in his mind. He glanced towards the open bathroom door and wondered where she was. His Runaway. He closed his eyes again and lay with his arms stretched out beside him for a while longer as he thought only of her: her eyes, her smile, her laugh, her touch. He couldn't get her out of his head and he didn't ever want to.

He rolled out of the bed, already longing to be beside her again, and made his way into the bathroom and then the closet. Emerging a few moments later - buttoning his jeans, his shirt still open - his eyes fell on the slip of paper resting against the clock on the nightstand.

Running with Barnes. Will be back soon.

Wanna sneak out for breakfast?

x

Tucking the note into his pocket, Steve smiled as he stifled a yawn and made his way down to the kitchen. He needed coffee.