2 - The World Went Dark

"Her blanket is in the backpack and she has a spare set of clothes because last time you completely ruined her dress, so if you do decide to paint or make pots or dig up another corner of Tony's garden then please, for the love of all things Holy, get her changed first." Talia held Jamie slightly tighter as Steve handed her overnight bag off to Bucky. She brushed Jamie's hair gently with her fingers as she slept with her head on Talia's shoulder. "And she can't have tomatoes beca-"

"Because when she was three you found out she's allergic. I know. I was there." Bucky rolled his eyes and put the bag in the corner of the living room of the small Brooklyn apartment Steve had told him to take. "Now give me my Godchild."

He held his hands out towards Jamie, grabbing at thin air, while Talia shifted uncomfortably. Her chest ached already and handing her daughter over to Bucky Barnes was going to make that ache a devastating pain. She needed to though, she knew that - and besides, Bucky was amazing with Jamie - but it only made her hold her baby that little bit tighter.

"Talia," Steve hushed as he put his hands on her waist and kissed her cheek gently, "we have to go if we're going to meet Tony on time."

"I know." She closed her eyes as she pressed her lips into her sleeping child's hair and tried not to cry. "But if I hand her over then we have to go and if we go then..."

"Nothing's gonna happen Little Widow," Bucky interrupted. "You two are gonna go get some bad guys, then you're gonna jump back on the jet and make it back here for breakfast in the morning. There will be no issues. No problems. I'll even make waffles."

"Waffles?" The groggy pull of sleep made Jamie's voice sound thick and slow as she twisted in Talia's arms, nuzzling her forehead closer into the gap between Talia's neck and her own arm. Her eyes were still closed and she pulled herself up a little with her arms draped over her mom's shoulders. 

"Waffles." Bucky grinned as a small smile lit up his sleepy buddies face and she peeked through one half open eye. "Morning Baby Widow."

"Uncle Bucky!"

She was instantly pulling out of Talia's hold and leaning over to Bucky with her arms outstretched and Talia couldn't help but smile as she watched her daughter dive into the super soldier's arms as if it was the safest place in the world. For a long time Talia had had to watch Bucky fight his own demons when it came to being alone with Jamie. He adored her, of course he adored her, but that love had left him afraid of himself all over again - undoing years of work and acceptance as his devotion grew. Jamie was two before he agreed to babysit without Natasha and Bruce present but since then the two of them had been tied at the hip. For Jamie, Bucky probably was the safest place in the world. Other than in her mother's arms.

"Come on." Steve wrapped his arms around Talia, pulling her back to him, and placed his chin on her shoulder. "If we don't leave them now we never will."

"I know." Talia sighed. 

"We'll be back tomorrow Buck. If you get her another pet, know that this one stays with you," Steve warned and Bucky grinned. "That hamster lasted two months and she still cries about it."

"No pets." Bucky nodded with a deep frown painted on his face. "Got it. Now get out of here."

As Steve pulled Talia out of the small apartment she shouted over her shoulder and she felt her heart begin to splinter.

"Don't forget we won't have any communication so if you need anything you need to tell Tony. He'll get to us! And she's reading The Hobbit so read to her! And -"

"We love you too Talia," Bucky chuckled as he moved Jamie in his arms so she perched on his hip and he reached for the open door. "Go kick some butts."