5 - Homecoming

As the city disappeared from around her The Winter Widow sat lost in her thoughts. Despite the excitement of being close to the mystery man with the shield, despite the questions that rose in her mind about the strength of the metal man, there was only one thing running through her mind: how had she not realised she had no recollection of life before this?

Steve glanced into the rearview mirror as he drove home. The streets were dark and silent this far out of town and he watched as she settled into the familiarity of the moonlight. As she stared out at the blur of buildings that were growing further and further apart with every mile she sighed and he watched as she closed her eyes and put her head back against the seat. Her lips turned down into a small frown and she shivered as she pulled her sleeves down over her hands and curled into herself. His eyes ran over the puckered v of her forehead and he felt a sadness settle in his soul.

"You okay?" His voice was low with a softness that seemed to envelop her as she remained still.

"Perfectly content, Mystery Man." Her eyes remained closed.

He trained his eyes on the road, shaking his head as he searched the darkness for the next turning.

"That's a lie," he chuckled.

"What makes you so sure?" She opened her eyes to look at him, amused by the small smile that now lifted his cheeks. She studied the lines of his lips from this angle, watching as he pulled one hand from the wheel and ran it over the stubble of his jaw.

"Because I know you pretty well Runaway, and I know that look." His eyes met hers in the rearview mirror and Bucky grunted from the passenger seat, half asleep, as he shifted uncomfortably.

"Where are we going anyway?" Her eyes returned to the darkness outside as Bucky's eyes opened and he turned in his seat.

"You'll see in a second." He jutted his chin towards a soft white glow in the distance.

Moving quickly, The Winter Widow pulled herself forwards by the back of Bucky's chair. Her eyes were wide and her lips fell open in a small o as the compound grew before her. She stared at the wall of glass that loomed over her, the large A in the doorway illuminating the driveway as Steve came to a stop and Bucky watched her intently.

"Thoughts?" Bucky grinned as she furrowed her brow and spun her head around to take in the vast building now looming over them.

Fire built in her throat as she took a deep breath. She sat rooted in the seat as the men got out of the car and waited. She couldn't tear her eyes from the shimmer of lights coming from a window way up above them. The shapes of people moving. It was suddenly all too much and she felt the pressure of fear pinning her down. She shouldn't have come here. Not alone. Not without back up.

*

Tony lay back, his head leaning over the edge of the couch as he held his hand over his face. The others gathered around in whispers of confusion and contemplation as he tried hard to hold his temper. Beside him Natasha sat staring at the wall, a hot cup of tea in her hands, with Bruce behind her gently rubbing his thumb across the back of her neck as he held her softly. He glanced towards her and met the cold gaze of her jewel eyes. She didn't know what was going on either.

"It's 3am," Tony groaned, closing his eyes again as the room fell silent. "Anyone know why the hell Barnes called a goddamn meeting?"

Rhodey moved across the wide space as he tried to search the darkness outside and folded his arms across his chest. He was fresh out of another job as War Machine and his body ached with exhaustion. He needed sleep.

"And where is he?" He asked, turning to face the group as he moved away from the window. "Or Steve?"

Beside Natasha Sam rolled onto his side, throwing his arms over his eyes as he placed his head on her lap and she laughed softly. He felt her hand rest over his chest and he smiled to himself as Banner leant in and feigned a dramatic whisper.