19 - Even If

It was easy to forget fear and anxiety on the back of the bike. The wind whipped around her as she closed her eyes and revelled in the freedom of it all, her arms wrapped tightly around Bucky as they sped through the night. He grinned as he turned a corner and her grip tightened. Feeling her laughing against him he pushed forwards once more, picking up speed as they raced back to the compound.

*

"Steve is going to think one of us is dead, you know that right?" Bucky chuckled as Talia jumped off of the bike and removed her helmet, shaking her head to free her curls. Her face split into an ear to ear grin as the idea of it ran through her mind and Bucky pushed the bike to the back corner of the garage. He turned to her with an easy smile, still laughing at the thought of Steve wondering which one was coming back alive, and opened his hands in anticipation. She tossed the helmet in his direction before he had to ask and nodded.

"We have been gone for the whole day Solider." She smirked as Bucky rolled his eyes. "I'm surprised a search and rescue team weren't sent out the minute it passed nine."

They walked beside each other, in easy conversation and Talia liked the comfort it brought her. Bucky knew what she was like before she ran. His acceptance of her now meant more than he could ever know.

"I can see it now," Bucky teased, "Stark flying around in the darkness getting FRIDAY to scan for fresh graves in wooded areas. Barton in a tree somewhere..." As he crouched down mimicking Clint Talia grinned and kicked him slightly, making him curse as he stumbled, laughing. Bucky Barnes was playful. That was not something she had anticipated.

"You sure you don't get drunk Barnes?" She laughed as they rounded the back of the garage and reached the entry to the compound. He shoved her lightly as her giggle rang out around them, shuffling his feet as he looked up at the building before them. Talia paused too. He was shifting in a way that suggested the happy bubble of friendship may burst if he opened his mouth and she braced herself for disappointment.

"Hey Little Widow?" Bucky glanced over to her, a frown setting in, his forehead creasing with worry. "Can I say something that might piss you off?"

"You often do Barnes. And usually you don't ask permission." She winked at him, trying to ease his mind a little.

He grinned at her, stepping towards the plants that adorned the entry to the compound and plucking a leaf from the nearest bush. He turned the leaf over in his hands, inspecting it as he spoke.

"Right." He huffed. "Well, I know it's not my place, but whatever it is that is happening between you and Steve..." He glanced up at her, careful to avoid eye contact, instead focusing on the peachy pink that burned beneath her skin. "He likes you Romanoff. A lot. And after everything you said today about connections and running..."

Talia nodded as her smile faltered. She had managed to push her worries about Steve down and hide them away today and now she would have to face them again. Her chest ached as she realised Bucky was probably about to warn her to keep her distance and she knew he was right. She shouldn't burden Steve with her past.

"Talia," Bucky continued, yanking her from her own thoughts, "the man is probably in the gym right now punching seven shades of shit out of another punching bag. He's probably panicking... so maybe..."

She braced herself for the warning.

"Maybe talk to him about it. Okay?"

Her eyes snapped up to meet his as he shrugged his shoulders. He leaned back as he placed his hands firmly in his pockets and looked up at the night sky, unsure of how she'd react to his advice, awkward and uncomfortable in the moment.