14 - Countdown

Two Months Before The Banner Wedding

When Talia got back to his room Steve was standing by the bed, his back to her, in nothing but grey sweats that hung low on his hips. She paused in the doorway as her eyes ran over his broad shoulders, over the strong back and smooth skin. The wrap of the bandage covered his lower spine, keeping the gauze dressing in place against the lower left side of his gut, and she watched as he adjusted himself gently, holding his side, to reach for his t-shirt from the pile on the window sill.

"You know, it's rude to stare."

She could hear the upturn of his lips as he smiled to himself and she stepped forwards.

"Oh no," she mocked, "I didn't mean to be rude."

Steve laughed and immediately regretted it. Pain rocked through him pulling at his stitches and eliciting a groan as he clutched at the wound on his abdomen. Within seconds Talia was by his side, staring up at him with wide, concerned eyes, holding his arm and guiding him to the edge of the bed. He let her help him, watching her hands as she took one of his in her own and squeezed it reassuringly. His heart stuttered as she took the t-shirt he had yet to put on from him and her eyes scanned his body. He watched the way she bit her lip as she traced the lines of his chest and how her breathing became slightly heavier as he held his own breath.

"Do you mind if I -?" She held the t-shirt in front of her as she glanced up at his eyes and a small laugh escaped her as a burning blush rose in her cheeks. He watched her so intently, so closely, and she could see it in his eyes; desire. It wasn't hard to recognise when she was feeling it so intensely herself.

He simply nodded and waited.

Slowly, with great care, Talia slipped the t-shirt over his head and helped him to adjust so that he could comfortably put it on properly. As she helped him he placed his hands on the back of her thighs, pulling her towards him. He held her between his legs gently, easily, and she felt comfortable; like she'd always been this close to him, this free with him. Beneath the comfort and familiarity sat something tantalisingly blissful, something she was beginning to understand and accept. She found herself wanting him to lean in, to close the distance between them and to claim her lips with his own, and yet she was scared.

She brushed her hands over his shoulders as he sat watching her, before running her fingers through his hair, neatening it as she spoke.

"What are you even doing out of bed Ice-pop?" She smiled as he reached up and brushed her hair off of her shoulder.

"I'm breaking out."

When he grinned her stomach tightened and her eyes drank him in. He was truly breathtaking. The crinkles around his eyes when he smiled showed laughter and joy and pure bliss and somehow the icy blue liquidised and whirlpools of crystal seas pulled her in. She tutted as he laughed and brushed her hand over his cheek.

He was sweating slightly and his breathing was ragged and disjointed.

"Why are you breaking out when you should be resting?"

"Figured if I'm going to keep my arms around you we might want a little more space." He shrugged and groaned.

"Steve."

"Talia."

"I think you should let the nurses take care of you down here for a little while." She brushed her fingers over his forehead, checking his temperature as she smoothed out the crease forming as he frowned. "I don't mind sleeping on the chair if you need the space."

Steve sighed as he slumped forwards, his head falling to rest lightly against her chest as she smiled.

"Fine," he groaned. "But I'm going to have to break out soon because the nurses aren't happy with me." He felt her giggle as it bubbled in her chest. "What did Nat want anyway?"