31 - Run Away

Talia's blood ran cold as she registered the familiarity of the voice at the end of the line. The silky confidence combined with a thick accent that screamed of plotting and planning an ideas undisclosed.

"Do not go inside." He instructed. "Do not alert them to this call, Miss Romanoff. It is for your safety and theirs."

Talia's eye searched the space around her for him. He knew she was outside. He knew who she was with. He was on the grounds somewhere.

A small shift in the distant trees made her shiver as she watched the shape of a man slip back into the wooded area by the lake.

"I know who you are." Her voice was shaking and she hated the weakness of the whisper that it came out in. "I know what you have done. What do you want from me Zemo?"

His laughter was like splintered glass under her skin.

"Good," she heard the slam of a car door, "then you know my mission. Now, Miss Romanoff, I saved your life. It is time for you to repay my kindness."

"I am repaying your kindness by not hunting you down and killing you myself Zemo," she spat through gritted teeth as her hand clenched around her phone. "We're even."

"Talia." Zemo sighed and she could picture him pinching the bridge of his nose as he calmed himself. "Do you mind if I call you that? Talia, they will make you what James once was. And once they have control of you they will make you kill him and your little boyfriend. What is it you like to call him?" He paused and she could almost hear his sardonic smile. "Ice-Pop?"

Her eyes had shifted as he spoke and now she stood watching them both as they laughed in the lounge. Bucky had his arm thrown over the couch cushions as Steve sat facing him, holding his chest as he cackled at something Bucky had said. She watched as Steve wiped tears from his eyes and drew in a deep breath, smiling lovingly at his closest friend and her heart ached. He had protected her so many times already. She loved him for his kindness and his empathy, his humour and his patience, his confidence and the way he sometimes appeared to be the same shy Brooklyn kid Bucky had told her about.

Zemo took her silence as understanding. As agreement.

"I will see you at the airport. 5am. Tell no one Talia." He paused as he listened to her uneven breathing and his voice softened when he spoke again. "You know I am not a threat to you Miss Romanoff. I will see you soon."

*

Steve hummed contentedly as he opened his eyes when Talia nuzzled closer on the couch, her head on his chest while his arms were wrapped around her. Bucky snored softly on the other end of the sofa and he smiled over at him as he rested, grateful that things could be okay between them even with everything that had changed.

"You tired Runaway?" He kissed Talia's head gently as she traced a soft pattern across his chest with the tips of her fingers.

"Hmm kinda," she sighed. Her heart was breaking with every passing second and she didn't want to sleep. If she slept then she would miss moments with Steve. She'd miss smiles and sighs and soft caresses. It was hurting her to keep it from him, to not tell him what had been said, to not explain that she had to go. Tomorrow she would be his Runaway who ran away and if she paused to think about it for even a second then she would fall apart.

"Come on then." He moved slowly, trying to get to his feet as her arms wrapped tightly around him and she scrunched her face up, refusing to let him move.

"Five more minutes like this? Please?"

He laughed softly, pulling her face up gently so he could look at her and he kissed her with a gentle touch.