26 - Ready

"You know, Buck-"

"He would have been here if he could." Steve offered a resigned smile across the small table as he reached for Talia's hand.

"He wanted me to tell you he's sorry." When Steve squeezed her hand she smiled. "He just couldn't face the few of them left, knowing what he'd become after. What he'd done."

Steve leant back and surveyed the small pub the few mourners left had occupied. It was cozy and warm. The walls were covered in mantras and mottos dotted between pictures of the landlords with their patrons. Behind the bar was a picture of Peggy Carter, surrounded by her family, with the landlords arm draped over her shoulders. She was smiling a wide, toothy smile and the fine lines of age had softened her eyes and lips. Something about the image settled him. As did the crowd around him. There were only a handful of people left around them and of those people, most were Peggy's family. She had had a family and a life. She had lived. She had loved again. Just as she would want him to.

As he took in the scene around him with a spark of something akin to happiness, he felt their absence. There were only three members of the 107th remaining, haggard with age and the ghosts of memories that still felt fresh and painful for Steve, and he understood. He understood why Bucky couldn't bring himself to come with him.

"One day he'll realise that not one of those men would have been here without him." Steve sighed as he toyed with his glass. "That when he stepped forward so that they'd test on him and not one of his men in that camp... he became a hero. What HYDRA did to him after that - that's not how any one of those men would see him."

Talia smiled softly at the man in front of her and squeezed his hand gently.

"He knows that. Deep down he knows that." She shrugged. "And he's got you to keep reminding him."

Steve chuckled as she sat back and glanced around her.

"He's got us both to remind him."

*

"What was your favourite thing about her?" Talia was leaning against his side, his arm over her shoulder as she held his hand and they both looked over to the picture of Peggy.

The pub had quietened, all the mourners returning to their homes and lives, and they sat together in contented companionship while they waited for Sam to call.

"That's an easy one." Steve snorted. She'd spent the last hour quizzing him about Peggy, asking questions that either had him spilling a war story or thinking quietly to phrase his response just right. "She was feisty. If you crossed her you'd pay for it."

Talia grinned as she twisted to look back to him. He was smiling, really truly smiling, as he recalled some far off memory that had him shaking his head and chuckling and her heart soared.

"How feisty?"

"She erm - she actually shot at me once. Three rounds. All because-" He paused as a blush spread over his cheeks. "Well because she was annoyed at me."

That blush. That blush told Talia she needed to know why.

"Why?" She pressed, smirking as he avoided her eyes.

"It doesn't matter."

"Sure it does." She laughed when he groaned. "I'm trying to understand her, trying to know her a little. Her motivations are a vital part of that."

Steve chuckled. He could see the glimmer of intrigue and curiosity dancing in Talia's eyes and he knew he wasn't going to get away with not answering her.

"Fine," he sighed. "She was annoyed because someone kissed me and I didn't stop them. I may have also insinuated that she and Howard Stark were fooling around."