Chapter 30

Lin was not pleased.

Not pleased at all.

So not pleased that she would in fact like to punch Rick in the face.

After all they went through they were left at the door like some dirty secret. Whoever it was that they were saving was well aware of who they were and chance was that same person was the same person that set this whole thing up - Amanda. Who else was important enough that they'd send in a group of criminals that only Amanda knew all about? Who else but Amanda would have orchestrated this whole thing? Harley called her the devil for a reason. Maybe even those so far in their own head they couldn't tell left from right could still recognize true evil for what it was.

The group was muttering to themselves as they stood outside waiting for Rick to and Deadshot to come back from the room with Amanda. Lin didn't think the others would appreciate her butting in with her knowledge so she giggled to herself in a corner whilst awaiting their surprise. Maybe they'd kill her. That would be fun, she thought. Killing the blobs wasn't nearly as fun as killing people. She reveled in the kill, in the way the blood spurted all over her and the way she could see the person's final moments in such a way no one else could. It was intimate in a way that only the few brave enough would experience.

"Who do you think we're saving?" Harley asked when they heard a series of gunshots go off. The blonde had a wicked smile on her lips that used to make Lin's heart swell and beat a million times faster but now only left her numb. "Must be someone important," she sang.

Killer Croc went to open his mouth when the door was slammed open and Deadshot walked out. Harley turned around as the man walked out but her mouth dropped when she spotted the woman behind him, a case in her hand and a gun in the other.

"No way," she said, stunned.

"Yes way," Lin retorted with a smug smile. "I knew it. Figured it out all by myself, didn't even have to ask the cards," she winked at Amanda. "I know a bad bitch when I see her. "

Killer Croc growled and got out of his torn armchair, hood still pulled over his scaly head. The bad guys walked closer in unison, a circle tightening around the pair like a noose. Amanda Waller was trapped but she would never be hopeless.

Where Lin used to stand was now occupied by Deadshot and the place Harley used to be was filled up by Chato Santana who shot the dark-haired woman a curious glance. Maybe not all of them had noticed the icy interactions between the pair or the rapidly deteriorating relationship that was doomed from the moment the psychiatrist fell for Lin. It began with Lin and it ended with Lin.

"Let's go home. Yeah, let's go home." Boomerang hoarsely said, nodding his head at the group of misfits. "That sounds good. You guys wanna go home? Or you wanna go back to prison?"

"I'm not going back to prison," Harley shot back with an eye roll.

Lin shifted her weight from one hip to the other. "I've got a man to get back to. We'd be lucky if Gotham isn't burned to the ground at this point," her eyes turned soft and a gentle smile played at her lips, one that Harley glared at. "And don't forget about the crystals! I've been gone for so long they'll be ruined," she pouted.

The crystals had been a gift from Frost after she once again distracted J from murdering his entire gang during a tantrum. No one remembered what started the outburst - maybe he saw a spider, maybe Lin hadn't given him enough attention or maybe one of the goons had an annoying face. Anything could set him off on a bad day. A full bag of sparkling crystals to soak up all that negative energy was just what they needed, too bad they were such high maintenance.

"What I'm saying is we kill the pair of 'em now before they kill us," Captain Boomerang threatened, making Katana step forward only to be stopped by Waller.