Chapter 2

Amanda Waller walked into the closed restaurant with determined, fast steps and a blank look on her face. Sitting down at the only occupied table in the big room she greets the two men in matching suits that were standing by their seats with a curt nod and they all sat down. Waller looks around the room with a curious and yet guarded look on her face, it's been a long time since she's been in this room, seven years to be exact. It brings back memories, memories of a little girl that had tragically lost her parents, a girl that fell into the wrong inner circles in this city.

"We lose a national hero but you sit there looking the cat that ate the canary" One of the men tells her, breaking her out of her reminiscent thoughts and Waller snaps her eyes to him and gives him a look that screams not impressed. It's her job, it's her job to make sure that the country keeps on running through it all, alien attacks, terrorist attacks, national heroes dying, you name it. She had never been a very caring person and this job fit her perfectly.

"I've eaten a lot of canaries" She bites back coldly, her voice so cold that the men could feel the temperature in the room drop. "It's taken some work but I finally have them, the worst of the worst"

She reached down in her bag that she had left leaning against her chair, pulling up a thick leather binder that was seemingly bursting at the seams from all the papers in it and drops it on the satin covered table. It hit with a loud thud and despite the loud noise there was no reaction from the man who had just spoken, he only continued eating, only casting a fast glance at the thing.

"There's rumors, Amanda, that some of them have abilities." The man glance at his companion in matching clothing before turning his accusing eyes towards Amanda.

"Oh, the rumors are right. You know what the problem with a metahuman is? The human part" Amanda tells the man while cutting some of her meat, showing him that he is worth less of her attention than the tiny piece of meat in front of her. "We got lucky with Superman; he shared our values. The next Superman might not" Waller continues, her focus still on her food.

"You're playing with fire, Amanda" The man warns her with a pointed look and fingers nervously drumming the table in a rhythm Waller couldn't recognize. The trio had been through this before, the secret meetings, Amanda Waller slamming her information on the table and then playing it cool with her everlasting mask of indifference, but there's something different this time. Something that she didn't have before, the binder thicker than ever before and her confidence through the roof, whatever she had made her confident of her winning this meeting. And that made them nervous, nervous because her idea was so controversial and out of the norm that it scared them, the insecurity around the whole operation put them all on edge and the duo of men shared a feeling of something big approaching, something bad.

Amanda slightly shakes her head, grabbing her wine glass and sips it. "I'm fighting fire with fire"

"Oh, god" The man that had yet to speak to the others sigh, not meeting the glares that Waller sent him. She knew what he had to say and she didn't like it, not one bit. She had come this far and this time she was not going to fail, she was going to get this project through. "You're not going to pitch us that Task Force X project of yours again, are you?"

Waller turn towards him with a serious look on her face, the mask of cold indifference dropped, placing her glass down with slow, controlled movements. "Yes, but this time, you're going to listen"and with that she opened the binder and explained each and every person inside, slowly but surely gaining their attention, for the first time.

The next two pages really grabs his attention, it had two different pictures of two very different women. He recognised one of them but not the other one.