Welcome to the team

The first thing he noticed about the woman was how shaky her gaze was as her eyes brushed around the room.

She stood awkwardly with her sweaty hands clutching her bag. posture clearly not of an agent that he had ever seen before, in fact her entire appearance wasn't of an agent at all and yet this was meant to be the new 'highly trained agent' that Agent Aaron Hotchner was supposed to be greeting to join the team.

He observed with a stern confusion as the young woman with light pink dyed hair and brown, slightly grown out roots stumbled off the elevator looking like she had been holding her breath the entire flight up before she adjusted herself and walked into the BAU office that he was in charge of.

"Who is that?" David Rossi, a supervising agent, glanced up and down at the woman who looked like a dear in headlights stood in the middle of the office, her eyes searching around the room for anyone she had been told to look out for.

"O-oh hi there, I-I'm so sorry to bother you but are you Aaron Hotchner ?" Hotch watched her tap one of his agents on the shoulder, the man turning around and pausing with surprise at the appearance of the woman who gave him a small smile and shifted awkwardly between her feet.

"I'm not Hotchner but can I help you sweetheart? I'm Derek Morgan, are you looking for a station to make a report? Or are you the new medical examiners receptionist? That's on the bottom floor, I can take you down there" he asked and Hotch observed the woman swallow with clear nerves and stand back as Morgan stood up and towered over her whilst she collected herself and tried to seem as confident as possible.

"Oh no not a receptionist sorry- I think I'm the new agent, Cameron Johnson."

"You think?" The man, who she could see was both moderately confused and amused at her presence, laughed at her.

Cameron swallowed her panic that told her to just run from the embarrassment, to sprint out of there and give up, but it was just her first day, she knew that she couldn't do that, she had to stand tall.

She tucked the strands of pink behind her ears and squared her shoulders back to pretend she had some sort of confidence in this moment. She knew that pretending was stupid considering the entire room was full of profilers who could smell her fear from miles away but she was mostly doing it to convince herself.

"Sorry, I'm just a bit nervous- first day jitters and all that" she chuckled, feeling her hands sweating and trying to discreetly wipe them on her light yellow, short silk wrap dress which she wore under her oversized black corduroy blazer jacket.

One thing was clear from just looking at her- Cameron didn't know how to dress for this job, if she was honest she didn't even know what this job really was, but she knew based on the glances from the people around the room that she wasn't exactly what an 'FBI agent' dressed like.

She tapped her laced up black booties quietly as the built man in front of her looked her up and down with a smile.

"So you're the new agent? You're a little young to be an agent, aren't you?"

"Oh, I-I I'm sorry" she said, unsure why she was apologising for her age.

"You apologise a lot" he laughed.

"Sorry" she said before she could stop herself and chuckled at her awkwardness that the man seemed to enjoy teasing.

"Agent Cameron Johnson" a deeper voice spoke behind and startled her, turning quickly she looked up at the tall man who she hadn't spotted scanning and profiling over her from the ramp the moment that she walked in.

"Y-yes, Hi! Are you Agent Hotchner?" She asked hopefully, her first day was not starting off as she planned- not that she had planned any of it but she hadn't expected to be so sweaty from nerves or be so nervous to be in a room full of people who's whole jobs were to smell out fear.