Last hope

"There we go, it was just a loose bolt with the val pipe" Hotch hopped down off the ladder poorly balanced against Cameron's shower that sat below the small attic crawl space where the pipes were leading to.

"Thank you, but when I said that I thought I had a leak I didn't mean for you to come over here at 5am instead of your morning jog, climb up a ladder on the slippery floor and fix it for me" Cameron chuckled through a sleepy yawn as Hotch turned to her with a small smile at her 'pyjama top' which was one of his old work shirts he had given to her the first night she spent at his.

"Better that than your apartment being flooded whilst you sleep- what are you doing up at this time anyway? Work doesn't start until 8 since it's a paperwork day and you're not too fond of running so I don't think you would wake up at 5am for a run as well" Hotch quizzed as Cameron wondered into her bedroom where files were sprawled over the bed.

"Your teams 'easy paperwork' days are my worst nightmare days because I have to prepare said paperwork and then fill it out properly for them and correct their last round of paperwork" she sat back down in the middle of it all.

"You shouldn't be taking this stuff home" he sat on the edge of the bed and started flicking through the files.

"It's not technically against the rules unless I take home evidence- which I've only accidentally done a few times but don't tell Cruz that."

"I don't mean that part of it" he chuckled, "I meant that you shouldn't keep working outside work- you're not being paid to do this extra work and I worry you're going to get burnt out, you shouldn't be staying up all night doing it either."

She gave a soft laugh and tilted her head at him, "you work more unpaid overtime than the whole team combined, I don't think you can be giving me that lecturer."

"Yes but every time you catch me doing that you tell me to take a break and make me put the work away- now I'm returning the favour" he lent in, planting a kiss on her lips as he took the file out of her hands and placed it behind him.

"You can't kiss me to distract me" she chuckled, the sound of her laughter that he loved so much vibrating in his throat from her being so close to him.

"Who says I'm the one distracting you?" He quizzed at her hand rested on his thigh and she lent closer to him, her lips brushing against his and sending a tingle down his spine as she spoke.

"I suppose you're right Agent Hotchner."

Her hand brushed up his thigh, she leaned in closer to him as her lips teased his- almost distracting him just enough so her other hand could loop behind him to grab the file.

Before she could, his hand wrapped around her waist and swiftly shifted her onto her back with him leaning over her, a lazily amused smirk on his lips.

"I know your tactics Miss Johnson" he teased.

Johnson. 

Even though that wasn't her real name he had fallen into the habit of calling her it still, and she strangely enjoyed it. No one else called her it, since it wasn't her real last name nor her new cover last name, it felt like a personal thing between her and Hotch. 

It was the name he called her on the cases when she first started and turned into a battle to get him to call her by her first name, but 'Miss Johnson' and 'Agent Hotchner' would grow into names for each other to say the thing they weren't quite yet ready to say before; a way to connect to each other but still keep that distance when they were forced to.