Anticipation

"Have you told her yet?" Rossi asked with a slight chuckle to his voice as he entered Hotch's office and noticed him looking out of his window at a certain someone walking into the BAU office with Morgan and Reid to start their day of paperwork.

"P-pardon? Talk to who about what? What are you talking about? I don't even know what you mean" Hotch cleared his throat and turned to him, stammering surprisingly awkwardly for a usually collected man, making Rossi raise a knowing eyebrow with a laugh.

"I was talking about you telling Strauss about the fact we were taking a full week off to catch up on paper work instead of a case- what and who were you talking about?"

Hotch paused at Rossi's not so subtle glance out the window at Cameron, with a cheeky eyebrow wiggle to add to his point of course.

"I was also talking about Erin... and that" Hotch lied and sat at his desk.

"Right, of course" Rossi chuckled and handed him the paperwork before leaving to the door, pausing and looking back over his shoulder first to add to his usual theatrics.

"But if we were talking about someone else, I would say that talking to her would be better than leaving a suspicious coffee on her desk and hoping she understands whatever mixed message you're trying to send."

"Did someone leave their cold coffee on my desk?" As if on cue, they heard Cameron call out to the team with confusion from the office.

Hotch shook his head with embarrassment that was unusual to him before his covered it with a clearing of his throat, turning back to Rossi, "it's a good thing we weren't talking about someone else then."

Rossi couldn't help his laugh, "oh of course, it's perfectly plausible that all of us have her coffee order memorised."

"Perfectly plausible" Hotch nodded with a small chuckle, watching Rossi walking down the stairs over to his desk and talking to Cameron.

"Hey kid, Hotch needs to see you in his office."

"Is this a 'I'm about to get told off and should prepare to hold back tears' kind of conversation or a 'sly insult that I won't realise was an insult until later' kind of comment on my paperwork?" Cameron asked seriously as she got up which made the group laugh.

"Neither" Rossi chuckled, a small cheeky smile at Hotch through the window into his office who was starting his paper work just as Cameron walked to the open door.

"Knock knock" she smiled and pretended to tap the door with a cheerful wiggle.

"Did you just say 'knock knock' instead of just knocking on the door?" He looked at her with puzzled amusement.

"I'm not sure why I did that, I think I felt rude for knocking- sorry" Cameron chuckled and walked over to his desk, standing awkwardly in front of it for a moment in the silence as Hotch went back to work before looking back at her with an eyebrow raise.

"Is everything okay?"

"I think so? Rossi said you needed to see me about something."

Hotch paused before looking out of his window at Rossi who was pretending to paperwork, something he was not often seen doing, shaking his head at him before looking back at Cameron, ashamed to admit that her puzzled smile almost took his breath away when he looked back at it.

"So... what did you need?" She tried to prompt, confused by his silence before he cleared his throat and forced himself to look away back down at his paper work for anything to use as an excuse not to fall into her eyes and want to stay there.