Chapter Twenty Nine.

Hailey's POV

"She's what?!" Angela exclaims.

I shrug my shoulders for what seemed to be like the 29th time, trying to explain to Angela what just happened with Carmen on the phone, I definitely wasn't hungry anymore.

"She's leaving for good, she's not coming back..." I murmur, attempting to ease the heavy weight on my chest, I have the urge to cry but I can't, I'm sad but I'm also mad at the same time, I don't know what emotion to latch onto, I'm confused at this point, it doesn't make sense.

Should I be sad because my best friend is hurting so badly to the point where the only type of relief she can feel is for her to move away?

Or do I continue to be mad because my best friend is a coward, a selfish woman who would rather run away and make it easier for her than to allow herself to feel any type of pain and face her problems, attempting to fix them.

"I don't get it, why would she just leave?"Angela mutters to herself. "I know Ric, he's completely head over heels for Carmen, I could hear it in his voice whenever we would talk, he wouldn't just let her leave, he'd find a way."

I shrug my shoulders one last time, "doesn't surprise me really, when the going gets tough Carmen always backs away."

Angela frowns, "I know you're upset, Hail, but some people just don't know how to deal with pain, don't be too mad at her, let her get herself together for a bit and then reach out, you guys are best friends, best friends fight and argue sometimes, look at Dion and KP."

"We were best friends," I mumble. "She said that I wasn't her friend anymore, she made it seem like she basically hates that I'm with Isaac."

"Hailey-"

I feel a small stream of tears run down my cheek and quickly reach for a napkin, wiping my face, "like it's mine and Isaac's fault that they broke up."

"It's not, Hailey-"

"Ric broke up with her to protect her, not because he doesn't care. Isaac said that him being with her wasn't safe, that if worse came to worse Carmelo would go after her and use her against Ric."

"And KP's right, Hail, Carmelo can be unpredictable sometimes, but of course Carmen's not going to see it that way, she's hurting right now, she's lashing out, love blinds you sometimes and makes you think differently."

I motion to wipe the tears that are still falling from my eyes, "I would never leave her behind."

Angela frowns and reaches for one of my hands laying it on the table and squeezes it, "I know, Hail, but not everyone is gonna have a heart as wholesome as yours and you shouldn't expect them to either, you're setting yourself up for failure that way."

I glance down at her hand and squeeze it as I continue to quietly let tears stream down my face.

"Give her some time to think for herself, let her do what she wants to do, let her realize on her own that she made a mistake by leaving, leaving you, it'll all resolve itself in the end if she really is your best friend."

I nod quietly.

"And if it doesn't then I am so sorry, you might've lost a friend but gained so many more," she smiles softly.

I let a small sob out as I release her hand and go to wipe my face for a third time.

"Hailey.."

I quickly look to my left when I feel a hand on my shoulder, It's Ian.

There's a soft worrisome look on his face, he leans down to whisper into my ear, although it's not much of a whisper, "why don't we take Ms. DeSoto to her house and head home?"