3 - ENCOUNTER... AGAIN

Alora Lin

"Ah, bitch! I missed you!"

Padma sprinted down the stone paved path of Diagon Alley and leaped into my arms. The force of her body nearly sent me toppling backwards as her grip around my neck tightened.

"I... missed... you... too..." I managed to let out despite being choked by her strong hold.

"Sorry," she laughed, pulling away from the hug. "Ah!" she screeched from excitement. "It's just so good to see you!"

"It's so nice seeing you too, hun," I beamed, linking our arms together and ushering her to start walking forward.

"I really needed this shopping trip. Life has been so hectic," Padma sighed.

"Oh, I can't even begin to imagine," I exclaimed. "Being a teacher at a Muggle primary school? The kids must be driving you crazy."

She shrugged, "They are, but I'd do anything for my stupidly handsome Muggle fiancé, even if that means moving to a random suburban town and teaching a bunch of rascals."

I giggled, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear as we strolled by the boutiques.

"Enough about me. What about you? How are things with Theo?" she wiggled her eyebrows at me suggestively.

I bit my lip as a faint pink painted my cheeks, "Really good. Like really fucking good."

"Are you referring to the sex or your relationship?"

I slapped her arm, causing her to throw her head back in laughter, "Padma!"

"Alora!" she mocked me. "I've missed out on months of details because you refused to owl me about your sex life–"

"Of course I did. What if one of my letters got lost along the way and accidentally ended up in the wrong hands. How embarrassing would that be?"

She shrugged her shoulders, "In that case, it'd be their lucky day. It's a free copy of erotica, basically."

I tittered into my hand, "I've missed your craziness, Padma."

"And I haven't missed your unwillingness to share your sex stories with me."

We laughed and continued to catch up as we walked down the crowded streets of Diagon Alley, arm in arm. Parents were running around, filling their shopping bags with toys and candies of all sorts.

"Merlin's beard! Look at that dress."

I turned towards the direction of Padma's pointed finger. My eyes landed on a gorgeous navy blue dress on display at the front of a boutique.

"Can we go in?" Padma looked at me as if she was a five year old seeking her mother's permission.

"Of course," I smiled, following her into the shop.

The bell above the door jingled as we stepped into the store. The aisles were filled with women our age, running around to try and get all of the dresses that were on holiday sale before they were gone.

Padma ran towards the nearest employee, asking them if she could try on the navy dress on display. She looked over her shoulder and gave a squeal of excitement before following the employee to the fitting rooms.

I sauntered down the aisles, admiring the variety of dresses as I went along.

Given that I was now unemployed, there was no way I could afford any of these dresses. Theo and my parents did offer to give me some galleons, but I hate taking money from others. I'll find a job soon and buy a dress with my own hard-earned money.