4 - THE LETTER

Alora Lin

"Is it supposed to be this hard?"

I glanced over at the rectangular chunk of gingerbread Padma held in her hand. She beat the cookie against the tray, sending crumbs flying everywhere while the cookie held its shape.

"It sounds like you're beating a rock," I tittered, watching as she groaned and threw the cookie into the trash.

"Something's wrong with this recipe," she declared.

"Or maybe we did something wrong?" I teased.

She put her finger up to her chin and pretended to ponder, "No, I think it's the recipe's fault."

I chuckled and was about to suggest that we try to make another batch when I heard a gentle knock on my kitchen window.

Both Padma and I spun around to see an owl perched outside the glass window.

"Whose owl is that?" Padma asked.

"It's Theo's," I beamed. "He's probably writing to tell me how excited he is to come home tonight."

I stepped over to the window and opened it, letting the owl in. I took the neatly rolled piece of parchment from its grasp and thanked the owl by giving him a treat. He happily munched on his snack while I unraveled the letter.

~

Dear Alora,

I hope home has been treating you well.

I'm really sorry, darling, but the U.S. Ministry of Magic is making us stay through Christmas for a few more meetings. (You can blame Umbridge for that. We can barely get through anything with her interrupting people every five minutes!)

I really wish I could've been home to spend Christmas with you, love. I know how much both of us were looking forward to it. I hope your parents and Padma will keep you company in the meantime. I'll be home before New Year's, I promise.

Love,

Theo

~

I dropped the letter onto the counter, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath.

A part of me was scared something like this would happen. Theo has been working so hard for a promotion. But the more important his role, the less time he has for me.

"What's wrong, hun?" Padma's voice echoed from behind me.

"Theo won't be back for Christmas," I muttered defeatedly, helping the owl fly back out the window.

"What?"

I turned around, shrugging my shoulders as if to say, "Oh well."

"Come here, babe," Padma pouted, opening her arms to welcome me in for a hug. I walked up to her, resting my head on her shoulder as I hugged her back.

"You can spend Christmas with your parents though, right?"

I shook my head as I pulled away from the hug, "There was some miscommunication. They're vacationing in the Caribbean right now because they thought Theo and I wanted the manor to ourselves."

"Well, that's kinda nice," Padma pursed her lips. "They're giving you the house so that you can fuck as loudly as you want."

I let out a laugh as I nodded my head, "Yeah, I guess."

"Why don't you come spend Christmas with me and Dylan?"

"And third wheel?" I raised an eyebrow. "No thanks."

"Come on–"

"Need I remind you of the last time I hung out with you and your fiancé?" I interrupted, pointing a finger at her. "The two of you practically forgot I was there and started eating each others' faces off right in front of me!"

She rolled her eyes, "'Eating' is a bit of an exaggeration..."

I shot her a deadly glare, causing her to stop mid-sentence.

"Fine," she groaned. "It was rather inappropriate of us, I'll admit. But I don't want you alone on Christmas! Are there any other friends you could visit?"

"I don't have any other friends."

Padma snorted into her hand before clearing her throat and straightening her posture, "Sorry, I shouldn't laugh when you're also my only friend."

I nearly wheezed at her remark, which only made her laugh even harder.

Once the two of us eventually calmed down, I plopped down on a chair beside the kitchen table, "I suppose there is one other option."

Padma gazed at me curiously from her spot by the granite countertop. She raised an eyebrow, signaling me to continue.

"Malfoy invited me to a Christmas party at his manor," I continued, averting my gaze to the ground. "I ran into him at the store the other day when we went shopping."

"Draco Malfoy?" her eyes widened. "As in that blonde ferret with whom you fucked in every room of Hogwarts?"

"What other Draco Malfoy is there?" I waved my hands animatedly. "And we didn't fuck in every room!"

Padma gave me a look, causing me to hunch my shoulders in defeat as I muttered, "Just most of them..."

"Well, are you gonna go?" she inquired.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't know, should I? I feel like it'd be–"

"I think you should go."

"But wouldn't it–"

"Go."

I glared at Padma only for her to glare back at me.

"Being alone on the night before Christmas isn't so bad. I'll have the whole manor to myself!" I exclaimed.

"True," Padma nodded. "But your manor isn't going to serve you fancy alcohol and free food."

I smacked my lips, "It could. I'll just have to ask Lottie to do some grocery shopping and buy–"

"Alora," Padma spoke sternly. "Stop coming up with excuses. I know you want to go to the party."

"What?" I furrowed my brows in disgust. "Absolutely not. Why would I want to go to my ex boyfriend's party?"

"Oh, I don't know... Maybe to make him realize what he's missing?"

"Really, Padma?" I scoffed. "It's been five years. Plus, I'm happily engaged, and I'm sure he's just as happy with that mountain troll he's dating."

"Mountain troll?" Padma laughed, looking a bit puzzled.

"Ugh, don't even get my started."

She tittered, brushing her hands together to get off the excess gingerbread crumbs, "So, you're going right?"

I nibbled on my lip, taking a deep breath as I replied, "You're not going to leave my house until I say that I'm going, aren't you?"

"Nope," Padma shook her head proudly.

I chuckled, "Fine, alright... you win."

Padma gave me a wink and pointed a finger at me, "You'll thank me later."