5 - PARTY

Alora Lin

I wiped my sweaty palms against the fabric of my dress, praying that my fingers would stop trembling from how anxious I was. Taking a big gulp, I walked up the steps leading to the front door. The muffled chatter from within the manor became louder as I inched closer.

Another wave of nervousness washed over me as I realized how stupid this must look, showing up at this party without a date.

The only person I know inside that manor is my ex.

I shook my head. Wanting to save myself from any potential embarrassment, I turned around and started heading back down the steps.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?"

I came to a halt, slowing circling around to meet the devilish glare of Draco's girlfriend. She was wearing a short and tightly fitted black dress, clutching a champagne glass in one hand and propping the front door open.

"Oh, I was just–"

"Don't be shy," she faked a smile. "Come on in!"

I gave a slight nod before hesitantly making my way back up the steps.

"I like your dress," she pursed her lips, eyeing me up and down.

"Thanks," I uttered quietly, faking a smile in return as I walked past her and entered the foyer.

My fingers nearly dropped my black clutch as I examined my surroundings.

I hadn't been inside Malfoy Manor in years. It seems as though it had undergone a complete renovation.

A massive chandelier hung above the front entrance. The walls were now cream white rather than pitch black, and the cold stone floor had been replaced with hardwood panels.

A Christmas tree towered over me, and a plethora of presents piled at the base of it. Fairy lights were hung across the crown moulding, and candles were magically floating midair.

"My parents gave me the manor after we graduated Hogwarts. They said I could do anything with it."

I spun around, meeting Draco's gaze as he leaned his shoulder against the wall.

"It looks good," I said.

It really did.

Before the renovations, Malfoy Manor gave off an eeriness that made it seem more like a prison.

Now, it actually felt like a home.

"Can I get you anything to drink?" Draco took a step forward, but continued to maintain a distance from me—almost as if he was scared to get too close.

"Champagne, maybe?" I replied.

He softly smiled in return. With a snap of his fingers, a waiter appeared from around the corner holding a platter of champagne glasses.

Draco took two glasses from the server before handing me one of them. I nodded shyly, murmuring a quick thank you.

"Cheers," he smirked, lifting his glass before bringing it up to his lips.

I took a sip as well, feeling a bit unsettled with how casual and welcoming he was being.

I felt my knees go weak beneath his piercing gaze.

I was sure he could see how red my face was turning. I couldn't help it. It had been years since I'd last seen him, but I would be an idiot to deny the fact that his mysterious gaze still had the same effect on me.