one

{WELLS}

Nobody ever says it anymore, but everybody hates omegas. They would probably say it out loud if they could, but it's been illegal for a while. We're small and weak and naturally subservient. Easy targets and even easier victims. Everything that they are not. We've grown used to the treatment we get, though. We just take whatever we can get in small amounts.

In this pack, we were lucky enough that we were allowed to go to school as an omega. It's been said that in other packs, they would only be useful enough for domestic and sexual purposes, so we wouldn't be allowed to even ask for education. It was easy to spin the law and claim that they were homeschooling if they knew the right things to say. We wouldn't be able to speak out against it. I definitely understood my privilege and knew to be grateful for having what I do, but gratitude and luck have never equalled enjoyment or pure happiness about it.
The place itself was a large, old building designed to hold thousands of sweat, hormonal teenagers that base their lives off of two things. Status and social media. If you were anything but the best, you were the worst of them all and everybody knew and dreaded it. The only way that school became bearable was by staying close to that one close friend we all had. The one that understands just about everything about you, even if you don't understand it yourself. Mine is the best. Occasionally.

My alarm clock read '6:00' in bold, bright red letters, and yet my best friend had decided that it was indeed the best idea he ever had for me to wake up and get out of bed. It likely was, but not this early. Especially not if I could have easily had another hour and a half of sleep to escape life. It was the only way I would escape the reality of being an omega.
"C'mon, Wells. Alpha called a pack meeting for the pack teens and even we have to be there this time," he mumbles, still shaking me and rubbing his eyes. I groan, staring at the clock for a minute to make sure that my eyes weren't actually deceiving me before finally pushing myself up against my cushions. Why would there even need to be a pack meeting this early? "I know. Early, right?"
"Did Alpha say what it was about?" he shakes his head, puffing out his cheeks and finally sitting beside me to relax. "Now i'm more concerned that we might get squashed by overgrown teenagers that all hate our guts. Do you think we'll get ripped apart?"
  "You're just a pessimist in the mornings. Just hurry up and get ready before we get in trouble with Alpha again. You know what happened the last time we were late to something." I nod and shove my blanket back, knocking Cova onto the ground at the same time. He caught himself before it made too much noise, and glared at me. I rolled my eyes and grabbed my boxers.
  My half of the closet was filled with brightly coloured clothes ranging from jet black to slightly darker than grey, with the occasional white shirt in between to spice things up. Of course, I picked out an oversized black t-shirt and black skinny jeans, hoping that nobody would notice the stain that I'd never managed to remove from the knee. By the time I realised that I hadn't even had a wash or brushed my teeth, I simply deemed it okay to wait until I actually needed to go to school. Breakfast came first.
  "Come on!" Cova nearly yelled, hearing the bells in the house beginning to ring and dragging me out of the room. Unfortunately, he didn't break my neck by forcing me down the stairs so hazardously, and I had to actually endure the meeting.

   Noise levels were ridiculously high, and almost everybody was complaining for at least ten minutes before our Alpha cleared his throat on his arrival. Things went silent quickly, people bowing their heads as he passed by them. Nobody went against him. Ever. There was a rumour that the last person to challenge him in any way had left the pack without a head or heart.
  "Alright, I'm simply going to assume that you're all here and not wasting my time by being idiots," looking around and nodding, most took a seat wherever they could and tried to relax. It wasn't easy to do. All anybody could smell was the Alpha's pure fury. It was terrifying and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand. "We've had reports in, and we've also received some news. Can somebody please explain to me why on earth there are several groups of you failing on your training all of a sudden? You're in the fucking basics!" somewhere in the back of the room, one of the guys scoffed. Being on of the guys born into a family of warriors must have made him either incredibly egotistical and overconfident or severely stupid.
  "Jet! Of course you funny. I don't, so I suggest that you you explain on the behalf of everybody for me." we all turned to face him, finding that he had flushed red and was struggling to find his words. Seconds passed, and I could almost feel the scratching of claws against my skin. Turning back to the front, all that I saw was an angrier Alpha with both his teeth and claws visible. Everybody was bracing themselves to bolt out of the room at the sensation of it, but nobody would win. I raised my hand, deciding it was probably best he pick on me instead. He expected failure from an omega, so there was always a chance that he wouldn't get too angry with us.
  "Go on," he says, looking me up and down with a raised brow. I gulped and nodded.
  "Our training was changed. New rules and a change of teams. We used to get given breaks every half an hour and now we're being failed for not having enough stamina to reach an hour yet. Usually, our breaking points are around fifty minutes," he nods and the air seems to lighten around us, causing more people to just look my way. "Plus, the training got more intense just last week. We were on the basics, but they moved us straight up to third level training. That's normally kept for the college kids." noises of agreement and support of my statement came from some of the actual college kids, confusion in some of their voices.
  "So what you're telling me, omega, is that you're all trying to reach college standards and are expected to exceed within a week?" I nodded, picking at the skin around my fingernails. "I'll have to check with the coach about that. Still, I expect better from you all. You should have at least informed me of such an advancement. Training is important." he continued to talk about training for a while after that, but eventually starting discussing the celebrations that will be taking place when his son takes his place. I've never spoken to him, but I heard Hunter can be just as bad.

   For saving the morning from the Alpha's anger, I got the amazing reward of finally getting privacy in the bathroom. Everybody left me alone whilst I showered and got ready, and when finally ready, there was a queue of half-appreciative people outside of the door waiting for me to leave. It was amazing that not one of them had barged in on me, and some of them even smiled at me instead of snarling at me like they usually would. My act of pure heroism didn't save the day for everybody, though, as right as I walked through my bedroom door there was something happening to my body. Nothing pretty, either.
  "Cova!" I basically yelled, and he popped his head out of the closet, confused and slightly afraid. "Where does Alpha keep the heat tablets?" he shrugs and I sigh, rummaging through the drawers to see if I had any spare. I couldn't show my face knowing that my body was going to betray me by scent. "I will get my bones jumped if anyone starts smelling me out."
  "Right. I'll get him." I nod, shoving myself behind my bed and sitting down. It was comforting. Nobody would see me right away, and I could hide underneath countless hidden blankets if needed. My entire body felt as though it was on fire, like something in me was trying to claw it's way out. I tried to ignore my wolf and his constant pleas to be let out, but a constant nagging whine echoed through my head.

   Whilst I waited for them both to arrive, I pulled my bag closer to me to check that I had packed everything I needed for the day and had enough money left for lunch. Luckily there was everything necessary already in my bag and I wouldn't need to move to get anything. The embarrassment of starting my heat was already enough to handle.
  "What do you need? Where are— alright." I peek over the edge of my bed sheepishly, already knowing that he could smell me but wanted me to say it anyway. No sympathy for an omega in heat. Not even when it was terrifying to leave their bedroom because of it.
  "'M starting heat and have no tablets." I whisper, picking at a fraying blanket.
  "I could tell earlier on. Aren't you the one that gets those bad ones?" nodding, I finally reach for him when he started to approach me. "Here's a packet. You know how to take them properly. I'll write you a late note so these can set in before you leave. Also, see a doctor if it's bad today. The only reason you didn't get attacked the last time was because I was in the room with you." I just stare at him, holding onto his arm as I swallowed down a tablet. He looked fed up, but let me hold on for a few minutes anyway. Maybe he did have a heart after all.

  Probably not.

=

   Heads turned as I placed my note on the teacher's desk, but I took notice. My sketchbook was already on my desk, and my seat was already covered with my coat. Cova was sat there too, offering me a pencil as the teacher sent me a nod.
  "Dude, I swear Alpha was only lenient because of upcoming celebrations. He's never that forgiving. I didn't think he had a merciless bone in his body," the current Deltas daughter whispered to her friend. They were saying things that would get them into so much trouble with him if they were heard, but nobody could do anything about it yet. "Especially not about training. He listened to an omega too, he wouldn't have normally done that. Maybe he's going soft." I didn't bother looking over, knowing that she would just cause trouble for me if I dared say anything to her. She thought that I was a waste of pack materials.
  "Well, Mav, I don't care the reason behind his leniency. I'm just glad that we weren't actually murdered today." my eyes were glued to my paper, but my hand would move and my brain wouldn't start working. After a moment, Cova noticed and looked away from his own work.
  "You alright, Wells?" he scooted a little closer as I shake my head, leaning in to listen.
  "I can feel the bond. I just don't know who it is." his eyes widen and he slaps a hand over his mouth to stop a yell, but I wasn't about to have the same reaction. In fact, I wasn't entirely sure that I even wanted to find my mate anymore. "I'm an omega, Cee. What if—" he stops me from saying anything else, pushing his coffee towards me and handing me a blank piece of paper to start on. No negative thoughts during heat allowed. Especially not in class. That wouldn't work out great for anybody.
  I stared at the paper for a minute, sighing and finally pressing the pencil down to let my subconscious take control. It wouldn't hurt to let Zeke have control for just a moment. As long as it was just for a moment. Lines started appearing on the page, some darker than others and some in unusual places. He kept drawing, seemingly liking to be partially out in daylight, even if it couldn't be in our wolf form. There was eventually a semi-legible sketch down: a river down the center of the page, with trees and flowers on the outskirts. There was a shadow forming in the corner. It had the body of a man. Cova kicked me from under the table.
  "You're not allowed to change in class..." I just nod, taking a breath and letting my wolf continue with the drawing. Cova would stop him from taking too much.