twenty-two

Hunter was in the office, filing paperwork and sorting out the rooming arrangements for Fox. I was being left by myself all day, barely getting any attention. Usually, I would have sat with Cova or taken Fox on a walk. Cova was having far too much fun with Alex, and Fox had gotten sick because of some of his old injuries. One of his ribs had healed wrongly, and he was one wrong move away from puncturing a lung. Now he was asleep, and I could only take so much of the same programme. He wouldn't let me change it for fear that something was going wrong.
  "You don't have to stay with him if you're so bored," Axe said, glaring at me. He couldn't stand me. He had some weird possession problem with Fox, and he didn't like that I was getting close to him.
  "I'm not bored, I've listened to the same programme more times than I can count for the last week and a half. All day, all night." I went to pull the blanket up to cover his body, only to get snarled at. Axe stood from his chair, continuing until I backed down and couldn't stand even to look up.
  "We don't do that here anymore," Kyrell said, pulling Axe to sit back down against his chair. "Sort your freaky obsession with your brother out elsewhere because newsflash, Fox happens to be Wells' twin. You know, his brother too?"
  "Nobody gets to touch him." he pulled the blanket up himself after a moment, moving to sit on the bed. He was basically shielding Fox's body with his own. "I'll stay here."
  "What about Onyx? Onyx will be visiting at some point." Axe nodded, following what Kyrell said. He'd seemed to have calmed down significantly, and even a fool could have figured out what was happening.
  "I can't stop that. Onyx is his mate."
  "Right, but Onyx is in his own little predicament, you know that, and Wells is his brother." the conversation stopped for a moment, with Hunter standing in the doorway with a smile. I was getting the attention I wanted.

   Hunter supervised as Onyx visited Fox, holding my waist and resting his chin on my shoulder. It was obvious that Onyx wouldn't do anything to Fox, but as he said himself; the hormones raging through his body made him more unpredictable than not. It would be safer to supervise, and Onyx desperately wanted him to watch over them. Axe wasn't focused on us anymore, more on Kyrell and his antics. Since Onyx had gotten into the room, Kai had worked on keeping his attention away from the whole situation.
  "They should stop being so cutesy," Hunter laughed into my ear.  I nodded, though I knew really that it had been a good idea to keep our brother calm and unaware. "They're oblivious, aren't they?"
  "Let's keep it that way for now. It's keeping everything calm."
  "I don't care if he's your brother if he hurts you—"
  "He's scared, Hunter. All he really knows is a pack that beats the shit out of his brother because of his status. He just doesn't trust us yet. He hasn't seen a lot of the people he grew up with in a while now. He's reacting how he's always had to." Hunter shrugged, staring at Axe. "He'll learn to trust the pack sooner or later. It doesn't matter when right now, does it?"