fourteen

Most of the ceremony had been a success. I had been sworn in, and the pack seemed to accept me as their Luna, Hunter's mate. In fact, I hadn't expected the ceremony to go that well for me. Most of the guys around, even the girls, hated my existence simply because I'm an omega. Maybe being in a higher position, I could finally get some respect, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Nobody in this pack really likes me, so why would they respect me?
  "Hey," Hunter whispered, exhausted. Nothing was over yet. We still had to get to meetings and have a celebratory meal with the pack. I wasn't looking forward to the meal, where everybody else ate like animals and the omegas must wait until everybody else has had their share. We would get the scraps. I didn't want to be hungry during the meetings. "Let's go."
  "Right. Do you know what's being cooked?" he shook his head and held my hand like I didn't know where the dining hall was.
We got there, everybody was already seated and waiting for the new Alpha to sit down. Luna's sat after their Alpha, who was in charge. Hunter changed that, pulling a chair out for me and smiling. I sat down and nearly lowered my head when I felt all of the stares. Alex and Cova were already sitting down at the table, so I nearly grabbed Cova's hand. Hunter cleared his throat and everyone looked away.
People were about to start eating, but Hunter raised his hand and shook his head. Even his Dad looked stunned.
  "Omegas can pile their food first." Cova jumped to it, though I was a little more hesitant than anybody else. "Go on."
For once my plate was full, and I knew I wouldn't be going to bed hungry. It was amazing.
  "I think we should go over some changes. Omegas need to be respected. Are they not part of the pack too?"
  "Sure, but we all know what they're for." I shrugged it off, just happy at the food I had. It was warm, still tasted like it was edible, and there was enough to feed me for the whole day. We'd always been lucky to get mashed potato that hadn't gone hard.
  "I think that only gives more reason to respect them. An omega can carry your child, an omega brings peace, an omega brings life and joy and overall betters the pack. We would be stronger if we all respected one another. I understand that I will not change your feelings, but I will be making changes to actions that are made. If I find that any of you, and I mean any of you, are being cruel to an omega, you may face punishment that could escalate to banishment," I looked up, watching everybody accept his words with sighs and huffs. None of them liked it. Just us omegas. We were seen, being heard and respected. "That also means that forcing yourself upon an omega, regardless of your beliefs, will be punished. Such cruelty will not be tolerated any longer."
Some of the boys at the end of the table started to mumble and make a fuss, which Hunter quickly heard and tried to shut down.
  "Anything to say, boys?" each one looked up, embarrassed to be picked up on by the new Alpha. "Come on, say it out loud. Do you not agree with what I'm saying? Are you a cruel bastard?"
  "No. I just think you're taking it a bit far by calling it all cruel and declaring it a rule. None of them has said anything about it."
  "Rape is still rape whether it's a rule not to commit it or not. Is it not?" silence, and Cova looked at Hunter. He wanted more food.  "Go ahead, Cee. No need to ask. You're part of the pack too, just as much as everybody else."
  "Thank you."
  After that, everything was running smoothly with everybody laughing and joking. Some of the higher-ranking wolves were even talking to us omegas and didn't act like they were being forced to be seen with us.
  "I never thought the new Alpha would have had an omega as a mate," Jerome, one of Hunter's Dad's advisors, said to me. He was a kind man, probably a little behind with his thinking, but a nice man nevertheless. "You be a good luna, alright?"
  "Of course," I whisper, nodding as he turned to speak to somebody else. Hunter grabbed my waist, turning us away from the crowd.
  "We've still an hour until the meetings start. Dessert is after that, so do you want to come and sit with me for a while? I'm getting tired of the crowd." I nodded, letting him take my hand and call for Alex to keep an eye out on everything.