three

wells-

Fuck. Fuck is the definition of everything I currently feel. My body is still incredibly against me, and even worse is that I've figured out that Hunter Grimes, the Alpha's heir, is my mate. He doesn't even know yet.

Every time that I go near him, my heart starts to race and my head starts spinning and everything smells so ridiculously nice. At first, I thought that my heat was just making me feel more sexual. Then, it stopped making sense to me. Everybody else smelled disgusting like they were the worst thing to walk the earth. I had never felt this way before, not even during my heat. Then I realised that it wasn't just my human side reacting to him, but my wolf also. Zeke went wild every time, and neither sides could be controlled. Even then, though, it hadn't clicked until Cova mentioned it. It must have been true.
  "So, what are you going to do about it? He's only ever been with girls before." Cova said, curious and honestly trying to help me. It didn't work. It only made things worse.
  "Nothing. No, I'm going to avoid him. Forever. Then I'm going to accept the realities of eventually being made somebody's play bitch. Only omegas in the stories get happy endings." he sighs, laying next to me as I curl into a ball and try to hide in my blankets.
  "That's not true, Wells. Some people are okay with us..."
  "Some. Well, somebody is going to probably find me somewhere and make me their bitch until they get bored of me. I've accepted that now." he nods and hums, pressing the ice pack against my forehead. He was such a good friend to me, even when I was such a pessimist. Bringing me out of my own head, someone begins knocking on our door and calling for me to come out. To avoid being in trouble, I went to the door and was greeted by a gremlin child who held a piece of paper.
  "Alpha said to give this to you. You have to get it done straight away," she said, voice squeaky and loud.
  "Thank you, Dhalia." it was a note, listing off the chores that needed to be done in preparation for Hunter's birthday. It was his eighteenth birthday soon, meaning that when he inevitably found out about who his mate is, and chooses whether or not he's going to accept them as his Luna, he'll be named the new Alpha. There were at least fifteen things he wanted me to do, and he wanted them all to be done perfectly. Knowing that I was still in heat.
  "When you're done with the first one, he wants you to go to his office."
  "Hunter's laundry. Got it. Thanks again, Dhalia."

   Hunter's bedroom was a disgrace. Clothes were scattered everywhere: on the end of his bed, on his chair, on his desk and his bookshelf and his floor. There were even a pair of boxers on his pillow. Empty wrappers and cans were all over the place, taking more space than his actual belongings did. I was convinced that I'd seen actual bins cleaner than his bedroom.
  "That's..." somebody said, and I didn't even bother turning around. It was him. Hunter had figured it out too. "That's not right. It— look at me. now." I did, grip tightening on the basket of clothes as I took a step back. Fuck. He looked beyond pissed, and I could have cried then and there. "Just get the fuck out. Now!" I was glued to the spot, feeling nothing but panic rise in my stomach. He took a breath, looking away and clenching his fists at his side. "Get out of my room."
  It was then I simply ran. I ran down to the laundry room, where Cova was already waiting patiently for me. I couldn't hold back, and the basket fell to the ground as I broke down. He caught me and helped pick up the laundry before hugging me tightly. 
  "He'll warm up to it eventually. They always do," he whispers, wiping tears from my face and reminding me to breathe. "He'll figure you out and get used to you. It's going to be okay."
  "No— he hates me and will just reject me, Cova. He's the next alpha, he can find someone else to take my place." I paused at the sound of loud yelling and fighting. It was the sound of the Alpha and Hunter himself, clashing and fighting because of me. So many things were about to go wrong because of me, and I knew that it would only end badly for me.

   Before my mind could register anything else, Hunter was dragging me back upstairs by the arm. Into his bedroom and behind the door he slammed behind us. I was far beyond terrified, watching every little move he made to be sure that he wouldn't snap and kill me to get out of it all. He had the power to hide everything if he did that, nobody would ever find out that it was him.
  "You're a guy. A male omega at that! How long have you known about this?!"
  "Figured it out last night..." I whisper, feeling my back hit the wall. "I thought it was just my heat but it makes sense." he hit the wall beside me, making me flinch away and try to move. Hunter wouldn't have it and went to pin me there.
  "Stay fucking still. Just stop everything and let me think!"
  "'M in heat still," I whisper, starting to feel overwhelmed.
  "I don't care. Stop it." I tried to move again, but he pinned me to the wall and growled, making me freeze and squeak. "I said stay still." as he held me there with no intention of calming down, Zeke managed to push and push, finding his way to control. My body leaned forward a little, squirming even, but I had no real control over myself anymore. It was all my wolf now. It was obvious and clear that Hunter was stronger than me, but my body wanted nothing more than to challenge it and make him want us back. Anything to make him want us.
  "Fucking control yourself! I didn't ask for a bitch like you to be my mate, and I'm not going to let you get away with shit. You're fucking pathetic."
  "You're the one making it worse," I whisper, and he lets go just to shove me on the ground. "Jokes on you, I like it rough." he grabs my face and crouches down to look me in the eye. There was nothing but hatred and disgust in his eyes, all aimed at me.
  "It's going to get so much more than rough. See, I'm not allowed to reject your pathetic ass but nobody said anything about having to like you or even make your life bearable. So, it's going to be hell on earth from now on. Hear me? I'm going to make it so that you want nothing more than to reject me and know that if you ever even try, it's going to get so much worse." I nod, hearing the venom and seriousness in his voice. He slapped me at that, not taking my silence as an answer.
  "Yes Sir."
  "Good. Good. I want my room spotless by the time I get back." he lets go and waits for a minute before slapping me again when I didn't say a thing. My face was already stinging.
  "Yes Sir," I whisper, but he slaps me again anyway, harder this time. "Yes Sir!"
  "Better. Less attitude next time or it won't just be a slap, do you hear me?" not wanting to risk being hit again, I took a breath and tried to keep calm.
  "Yes Sir,"

   It was late when I crawled into behind Cova, needing my best friend's comfort. So late that he was falling to sleep before he realised I was there. He turned around, facing me and sighing. Cova was the best at giving me comfort when I needed it. He was all I needed.
  "What happened?" he whispered, tracing around a mark on my face. It was going to bruise.
  "He hates me... I'm gonna have to avoid him forever." he nods, hugging me and covering me with his blanket. The tension fell away from my body when he did, waiting for tomorrow to come. So much pain had happened today. "He can't reject me, so he's set on making my life hell. I don't understand why he hates me so much. Shouldn't hate his mate that much. What did I do, Cee?"
  "You did nothing wrong. I think he's upset and acting irrationally. Heard him talking to his friend earlier. He sounded way more upset than angry." I shake my head and let out a cry. I hadn't even cried when Hunter hit me. Maybe if I had cried, he wouldn't have done it.
  "He said I'm a pathetic bitch."
  "But he was nice to you before he found out. Mostly. Right? Maybe he'll calm down and go back to that when he realises that he's acting rash. Maybe he'll realise he's hurting you."
  "'S breaking my heart, Cee. Breaking my wolf too. I can't do it."
  "Can't do what?"
  "Can't accept him. Can't accept my position. Can't do anything whilst he's like that. Maybe he'd like it better if I just—" he sat up, dragging me out of bed and the room to knock on the Alpha's office door. A tired, frustrated looking Alpha opened the door and sighed, letting us into the room without hesitation. He just wanted to get things over and done with.
  "What's the issue now? We don't have all night."
  "Hunter's already mistreating his mate and trying to break him—" Cova said, though he was cut off mid-sentence. "No, don't interrupt me. Listen, please. Look at his face. He's already got bruises and he's already breaking. He says he can't do anything if Hunter hates him so much." the Alpha sighed, taking hold of my jaw. It didn't hurt when he touched my face, but I could tell by how he was looking at me that he'd rather be doing something else.
  "How did these happen, Wells?"
  "He kept hitting me and just hitting me when he didn't like something. Over and over." he nodded, getting up to fill a glass with water.
  "What else has he been doing since he found out? I want nothing but the truth here. We don't do or tolerate this sort of shit happening to somebody's mate, omega or not." I was hesitant to say anything else, unsure that he wouldn't be angry with me. "I need to know, Wells. You're not the one's in trouble here."
  "Keeps saying I'm a pathetic bitch and that he's gonna make my life a living hell 'coz I deserve nothing more. Said he's gonna make me want nothing more than to reject him. I mean, it's working I guess. Locked me in his room all day, and I couldn't do what you asked me to because of it."
  "Alright. Stay here, I'm going to go get him." I nod, leaning against Cova and humming an old song to myself. I was so tired and worn out. I didn't want to see Hunter again, I just wanted to hide and avoid him forever.

   Hunter wasn't happy about being told on, apparently. The Alpha wasn't in a mood to care about his feelings, though, and cut him off before he could say anything to me. When he saw me trying to move away and leave the room, the Alpha pulled me to himself, grabbing my jaw again and showing my face. It was weird that I felt safer with him than my own mate.
  "Whether you like it or not, he's your mate. You can't treat him like this. He didn't even come to me himself, and I found out that my own child has already started to be an abusive asshole on the first day of knowing. It's disgusting, honestly. Omega or not, you don't get to hit your mate because you're not happy with who it is." he starts, keeping me close enough so that I didn't run out of the room.
  "I—"
  "No. I don't want to hear any stupid excuse as to why you suddenly think it's acceptable to act like this. It's unacceptable, disgusting, abhorrent, just to name a few. Seriously, can somebody let me know what on earth is going through your head that makes you think it's alright to behave like this, because I'm certain you don't get that from me. Look at his face and tell me he truly deserved that."
  "He didn't deserve it. I'm just frustrated and overreacting. It won't happen again." Hunter said, not actually taking even a second to look my way.
  "Seriously, look at him. Don't just look and say what you know I want to hear. Look at him." he looked, and I looked away. I didn't want to look at him. Not anymore. He went to touch a bruise, or my jaw, or something I didn't want, and I stepped back. In all my years, I'd never thought I would ever hide behind my Alpha of all people. "One day and you've done that to him. One day, Hunter."
  "I wasn't thinking. I didn't think," he whispers, sighing.
  "No, you didn't. Now you need to fix it," Alpha said, pulling me forward again. "Make sure he gets back to his room safely, and don't bother doing anything he doesn't want to do because I swear on everything that if I hear even one more little thing you do to him, you're going to be running from me and you can forget running this pack."
  "That's fair."