Four

Wells-

   My morning had been fairly quiet for a while, with nobody really daring to bother me or make a scene, and Hunter even brings my breakfast to my bedroom. When it became obvious that I wasn't all that comfortable with or around him anymore, he turned around and left without complaint. I was sure I spotted him smirking. He probably didn't even want to be around me himself, and I couldn't blame him. Who wants an omega as their mate?
  We're the weaker part of our kind, barely able to do anything productive. It's not his fault he was paired with someone like me. Most would get angry and kill me, or reject me. I would rather that option.

   I was perfectly fine with walking to school with Cova normal. In fact, I might have even preferred the three-mile walk to school. Hunter had insisted on having me in the car with him and his friend, though. It was easy to tell that he was just trying to get into the good books with the Alpha again, and I was far too afraid to refuse. So, now I'm sat in the front of his black SUV with Cova distracted in the backseat by his newfound interest. His mate, Hunter's best friend.
  "Look, don't get me wrong, I don't like any of this. First of all, I was expecting a girl, not a guy. I'm not even bothered that you're an omega, I've just never even been attracted to guys, you know?" I nod, fumbling with the sleeve of my shirt nervously. "So, I don't like any of this. I'm sure you can understand that. The way I reacted to this was wrong of me, though, and I'm sorry for all of it. I'm sorry for hitting you and I'm sorry that I locked you into my room. You didn't deserve how shitty I was to you. I'm a dick, be honest." I look at him for a moment, taking in his apology and thinking about whether or not to accept it.
  "Yeah. You're a dick." he agrees silently, tapping the steering wheel to the beat of the song. I tried not to watch him too much, but I was stuck between hoping that he wouldn't hit me and thinking that his hands looked really nice.
  "Fair response, but I am going to make it up to you if you'll let me. Neither of us wants to be mateless, right?"
  "Right. Just please don't do the thing you do when I move away. It doesn't help your case." I whisper, shifting away from him a little when he looked away from the road for a second. "You act like I'm being irrational but you did hurt me all because you don't like me."
  "It's not that I don't like you," he whispered, shaking his head. "I just don't like the situation. I'll try and stop that, though, because I really deserve so much shit right now," he paused, pulling into the school car park and sighing. "I wish I had his reaction now."
  "But you didn't. Instead, you made me think about killing myself."
  "You— because I told you that you couldn't reject me, right? You thought that the only way to— I'm so sorry." he reached around and dropped his car keys into his friend's lap, climbing out of the car and heading to the passenger side. I stopped myself from moving away when I saw that he'd started crying. "Let me get you coffee or something? I don't know where else to start, I'm sorry." he wipes his face as I nod, taking my bag without thinking.
  "You know, it's not new if you do hate me for being your mate. It just hurts that it's you." before he starts to talk, he stops me from walking further, sighing and rubbing his face.
  "I don't hate you. I'm confused, mostly. I don't know how to put into words how horrible I feel. I fucked up bad, screwed up royally. You didn't deserve any of the shit I gave you just because I was upset that I got paired with a guy. You're a guy, not a disease," I kick at the stones beneath my feet, trying not to forgive him so fast and everything inside of me wanting to because he's my mate. He was crying again when I looked at him, though he tried to look away and hide it.
  "It's okay. Some people react worse than others to things like this. I can't imagine being paired with something other than a guy, you couldn't imagine being paired with anything but a girl. It's alright," people looked at us like Hunter was a mad man, but he didn't seem all that bothered by it. Still, I tried moving away from him, but he shook his head and took my hand. A spark flew up my arm at the contact with his skin, and I couldn't stop myself from smiling.
  "You're my mate. It felt right enough, didn't it? It felt right enough to me if it helps at all."
  "It helps, but don't force yourself. I know it didn't feel normal to you." he nods and smiles, taking a breath.
  "I told you, I've only ever been with girls. It's a little weird to me still, sue me." I laugh, letting him pull me up to the coffee shop at the end of the street.

   "What do you want?"
  "I can—" he laughs and shakes his head, taking out a wallet and pointing to a menu board.
  "I'm paying. No buts." I nod and take in the items on the menu. Caramel macchiato. Then he points to the breakfast options. I shook my head. "What about cookies? Everybody likes a cookie." I felt my face heat up as I nodded. "Then I'll get us three each. Anything else? We can come back later if you want another drink?"
  "Nothing else," I whispered, looking over to a clock and feeling my stomach turn. "Aren't we going to be late?"

   He sat beside me in registration, and it was there I had decided that he truly was trying to make things right. Maybe he wasn't as much of an ass as he made himself seem. Maybe he was just trying to please his Father by tricking me into thinking he was changing.
  "I have a game tonight," he said, taking a breath as if he were nervous. "I kinda want you there, but I get it if you don't want to. I know you won't want to sit alone, but I can get Alex to sit with you if you come. I know it's bold of me to ask."
  "I'll be there if someone sits with me."
  "Then make sure you bring a jacket. It might get colder by the time my game starts." I sigh and shake my head.
  "My coats are all ripped."
  "You can use mine," he says, obviously not thinking. Still, I smiled and felt a little giddy. Maybe he would warm up to the idea of us being together. "I have it in my locker. It'll be massive on you but will probably keep you warm. You should've said."
  "Was busy trying not to crap me. You scare me. 'oh sorry, don't hit me but I don't have a coat and it's cold' isn't a great opener when that's the case."
  "I'm sorry."
  "I know. It's too bright in here. So intense, I'm sorry."
  "Is there anything I can do to help? You don't need to apologise." I grab his hand, feeling something calm down. "Oh. Okay. Does that help?"
  "A little bit. Everything's too much. It's too much here."
  "Should we leave? I can take you to one of the sick rooms. Would that help?"
  "I'll miss work and they'll complain and—" i stop talking, shaking my head and trying to stop. Just breathe. I couldn't.
  "Let's go. Come on," he pulls me to my feet, saying something to the teacher before pulling me out of class. We passed by his locker and he grabbed his jacket, putting it in my hands and taking me to a sick room.

He was doing everything he could to help, and in the end, settled on sitting with me. Touch was the only thing that helped me.
  "How are you just sat there like that, ignoring his heat?" somebody from the team said, looking around the door. "Like seriously, it's borderline weird."
  "Shut up and fuck off," he mumbled, voice deeper than earlier.
  "It is affecting you, isn't it? You just won't act on it. Not saying you're a coward for it, but you're a little bit of a coward." he got up and I could see his claws.
  "No, no come here." he looks at me, calming down and taking his seat. "I just ignore it. Please ignore it. Scary when you're mad."
  "I heard you smacked him around. I think you did the right thing you know. They're pathetic creatures, omegas are. The only thing they're good for is sex and carrying. Sometimes cleaning. Look at the thing, half the fucking size of you and you're treating him like a princess today. What's that about, man? Treat him like what he is." he was ripping the material of the bed with his claws, a low growl sat in his throat ready to get louder at any moment. I leaned closer, trying to smell him better. He smelled so nice. Always so fresh and clean. It was calming.
  "A tiny, pathetic little bitch in heat. Should be fucked and used 'til he can't and won't move. Just there for you. That's what he is." I whimper, the words stinging like salt on a wound. Hunter deserved better than me. Better than an omega.
  "Say the words and I'll kill him," he whispers, leaning down and resting his chin on me. "I want to. I hate what he's saying. It burns like fuck. I should kill him, right?"
  "Don't kill him. It's illegal. Please don't move away. You're making it better." I sounded like I was going to cry. I was going to cry. The growl in his throat turned into some real animalistic roar that caused the guy to run out of the room. Then he was back to comforting me. "Thank you."
  "I hated what he said. Really. It killed me a little. Killed me more to see you upset. You don't deserve that. You're not pathetic, ever. I'm sorry I said you were yesterday. So sorry for everything I did yesterday. I'm sorry they treat you like this too." I close my eyes as he spoke, smiling when I felt him lay down next to me. "It's starting to feel more and more right. Like it should happen. I'm more and more okay with it. Be patient with me, please?" I nod, curling up and gasping when he subconsciously slid a hand under my shirt. He didn't move, but I didn't want him to either. It felt okay.
  "I'll be patient. I can wait for you to be okay with this."
  "Thank you. For letting me try again... I know I don't deserve this."
  "You freaked out. It's okay. Just be patient waiting for forgiveness."
  "That's fair."