Chapter 48

Y/N's POV:
As Wanda leaves, I get two glasses out of the cupboard pouring Carol a large glass of wine and myself a small. She smiles sadly as I hand it to her.
"Are you going to tell me what happened? Or do you want me to take your mind off it?" I ask.
"Dinner was going brilliantly she was laughing and smiling. When it felt like the right time I said it just how we had practiced she froze, excused herself and left. I get if she doesn't feel it yet but she didn't say anything I put myself out there and I got it thrown back at me. She could've just said something anything at all," Carol sighs.
"It's nothing to do with you Carol. She's been hurt so many times before. It's hard for her to be vulnerable with other people. I know she feels the same about you. I see the way she looks at you and I can see inside her head. Wanda will talk to her. I know this isn't how you wanted this to go but it's the way she grew up," I assure her.
"Are you sure?" She says composing herself.
"I'm sure. Just give her a chance to explain herself once Wanda is finished with her. She'll give her the head tilt if she steps out of line and she'll soon sort herself out," I joke making her smile.
"I'll hear her out. You're a really good friend Y/N," she mumbles.
"So are you. Now should we throw on some trash tv?" I suggest.
"Definitely."

Wanda's POV:
I just had this feeling this would happen. She's so stupid sometimes for someone so intelligent. I knock on Nat's door and can hear her crying.
"Nat it's me," I announce myself. She opens the door and sits down on the bed. I hold onto her for a second while she cries.
"What are you doing Nat? I know you love her," I ask her as she composed herself.
"I'm scared Wanda. I've never been this open or vulnerable with anyone before. I've never even said it let alone meant it," she explains.
"You think I had before Vision? Or Y/N had before me? No we made that jump because we knew the person was special and worth fighting for. Carol stayed here for you, she put up with our constant teasing for you. She did everything right. Now you go  to her and you explain your fears and she'll understand. She went to so much effort and she learnt Russian. Please don't do this Nat," I plead with her.
"What if I say it and everything changes? What if a few months down the line the spark goes or she leaves and I'm stuck here with no one? Or what if I get scared again and hurt her? What then Wanda?" She asks.
"You need to stop overthinking everything. There's no point focussing on ifs and buts when this could be something so special and so good for you. Y/N and I have been helping Carol plan this for ages. She wanted it to be perfect because that's how much she loves you. After you got injured she stayed indefinitely. Does that not show you that she's in this long term?" I encourage her.
"I'm so scared Wanda. But you're right I do love her. I just don't want things to change. You and Y/N make it look so easy. I've just ruined this haven't I. She went to all this trouble and I screwed it up," Nat sighs.
"Just talk to her. Tell her all this be completely open. That's why Y/N and I work so well. We talk about everything. You know Y/N and I have similar fears to you but I reassure her as Carol will with you and you can for her. Come on she's at ours," I say taking her hand.

We get to the door of the house and I can sense Nat's nerves.
"It's going to be ok. Just be honest," I assure her. We walk inside the room to see Y/N and Carol drinking wine watching some reality tv show.
"Hey," Nat says to Carol.
"We'll give you two some privacy," Y/N states getting up. Nat looks panicked. I smile to reassure her. Y/N kisses my cheek and takes my hand as we walk into the kitchen.

Nat's POV:
I sit down opposite Carol and I'm nervous I hurt her I know I did.
"I'm so sorry Carol. You went to so much effort and I ruined it out of stupid unreasonable fear. I love you Carol. I really do and it terrifies me because I'm so scared that in a few months time you'll decide you don't want to be with me anymore because I'm too damaged. Or we'll be so happy that I'll do a stupid self destructive thing that'll ruin it like I've just done. I should've said all this to you when you said it. Instead I ran because that's all I know how to do. I've never said I love you before or even felt it. I didn't think that was for me but then you came along and stayed when you didn't have to. Slowly but surely i was overwhelmed with feelings. I'm not going to get in my own way anymore Carol because I love you and I want us to be so happy together. I promise you I'm all in," I explain tearfully.
"Do you not trust me?" Carol asks hurt.
"Of course I trust you. I just don't trust myself," I assure her.
"Why did it take Wanda talking to you before you could feel comfortable enough to talk to me about all this?"
"She's my best friend and she knows me better than I know myself at times. I know I should've been speaking to you instead. It takes a lot for me to vulnerable with anyone. I'm willing to be open with you now it's going to take some time if you'll give me that," I explain.
"I don't know Nat. I don't do this. I don't fall in love. I don't stay in any place for too long. I don't make these big romantic gestures. But for you I did and I got it thrown back in my face. That hurt a lot. If you didn't want to say it or if you didn't feel the same I just wanted you to talk to me," Carol mumbles sadly.
"I do I love you Carol I really do. Let me prove it to you. Please just give me a chance," I beg her.
"I need some time to think Nat. I'm sorry," she whispers standing up and leaving. Wanda and Y/N run into me giving me a hug.
"I really messed up. Didn't I?" I ask holding my head in my hands.
"She'll come around you just have to show her how much you do love her," Wanda assures me.
"You can stay in the guest room tonight and I'll help you come up with a few ideas in the morning," Y/N suggests.
"Thank you," I mumble devastated.