sixty-seven

Sixty seven- Long Time No See

[ 56 days after the wedding // 9 days after signing the contract ]

The sweet fragrance of blooming flowers and saltwater filled my nose. The air was warm and balmy, and upon opening my eyes, I was pleasantly surprised to see the radiant ray of the morning sun shining through the woven strands of the sheer white curtains.

A soft breeze tickling my bare back prompted me to push myself up onto my elbows to study my surroundings better. The bedroom was unfamiliar, with unblemished white walls and light wooden flooring.

The sound of crashing waves could be heard through the open window, so I stood and approached it, curious to see the view outside. The house I had been occupying sat perched on top of a rocky cliff overlooking the vast ocean. The rippling water of the deep blue sea seemed endless as I looked on far into the distance.

Looking around once again to gain better information about my location, something caught my attention. Through the sheer curtains of the french doors, I could make out a tall figure standing out on the balcony, body leaning on the railing. The curtains fluttered in the wind as I walked closer.

Parting the curtains, I walked out onto the balcony, flushing when the person suddenly turned to look at me. "Xander?"

I was glued to my spot when he smiled softly. His skin glistened exquisitely under the sun, sunkissed and rosy from the heat. Wisps of his dark hair fluttered in the gentle wind, framing his face so delicately. I was rendered awestruck as I stood there. He looked even more graceful under the sun like that. 

"Why here?" I asked as I stood beside him, eyes fixed vehemently on the opaque water below.

"The castle is so cold all the time, I thought it might do you good to see some change."

With his words, I was reminded once again of the reality that awaited me once I finally wake up. I would've given anything to stay asleep, to stay there under the warm sun with the person I loved the most standing beside me. There was no one else there, only the two of us standing peacefully side by side.

"How's Kyle doing?" I asked, risking a glance at his face, only to quickly look away when I realised he was already looking at me.

"His condition hasn't been improving at all. There's not much time left." He cleared his throat. "I talked to Haagenti yesterday evening."

"You talked to Adam? About what?"

Xander then proceeded to tell me about everything Haagenti had told him the day before, finally revealing the truth about the demon's past and revealing his true intentions all along. It felt surreal to hear the truth from Xander. The person I used to trust had been hiding a knife behind his back all along.

"What does he mean by using your words? Don't you think that's too broad of a statement?" I asked once Xander came to a finish. "Do you think he means you have to talk to the crown? He's been lying to me this whole time, he could be lying about this to you too."

He shook his head, denying my claim. "Negotiating with the crown is useless. Elijah is considered a part of the king's council and is far too influential to be taken down by mere begging. There must be something that we're missing, something that we're overlooking."

Sighing, I leaned my arms against the railing in front of me, feeling the sudden urge to jump into the water and get dragged under, never to return. "We'll figure it out," I spoke, the uncertainty very obvious in my voice.