five

Five - Forbidden Floor

"I'm sorry, but I'm going to need that card back now."

I gripped the strap of my bag tighter. "Why? Did I do something wrong?"

She scowled, hand still in front of her in a gesture of 'hand me the card'. "It's not you. I've decided to move patient 13 to the third floor. You are not to see him until group therapy in the afternoon."

I dug into my bag to find the small card while simultaneously eyeing Adeline in suspicion. "You don't think moving him to the third floor will make him feel worst about everything?" My voice was so low in volume that for a second I thought she hadn't heard me.

"Don't question my ways. I'm doing what's best for these patients." She turned and left as soon as I handed her the card. I watched her walk away, glaring at her blonde hair that swung right to left whenever she took a step.

Surely in the back of her mind, she knew what she was doing was extremely wrong. I could try to sue her but I didn't exactly have any proof. Besides, I probably would have had a higher chance of being fired and then going homeless if I did.

When I walked to front counter I expected the same woman that I had met the week before that had the rough voice and dark eyes, but instead, a woman I've seen frequently around the asylum sat behind the counter.

I continued to think hard as I signed myself in. Had I only imagined that woman from before? Had she quit so quickly?

"You're signed in. Are you okay, dear?" The woman's sweet voice asked as she stared at me with furrowed eyebrows.

"Yeah. I'm alright."

I spent my morning working in the cafeteria, making sure everybody was eating their food and not spewing it out anywhere. I had to remind some patients to stop playing with their food. They, fortunately, obeyed.

After finishing in the cafeteria I was scheduled to help in the medical room with filling in files regarding medications for the patients. It was a boring activity to do but I was grateful that it didn't have anything to do with running around and breaking a sweat.

A man named Paul helped me with the files. We managed to get the job done before the finishing time on my schedule so I spent the rest of my morning lounging around in the snack room eating some biscuits that tasted like crap.

When it was finally noon I started to make my way to the hall where the therapy would be commencing. I didn't know whether I was eager or nervous to see Xander again. Perhaps a little bit of both.

It was obvious there was something I didn't know going on. I suspected both Adeline and Xander was in on it. Xander had acted suspiciously when I had asked him about his injuries. Surely he was smart enough to know that cuts didn't just heal in one day without leaving any scar behind.

When I entered the hall some patients were already seated in the seats in the middle of the room. The seats were placed so it was circular and surrounding one chair in the middle that I assumed was for the therapist.

One of the patients glanced at me and gave me a scowl before turning back around in her seat and chewing on her fingernails. I was sure one of the nurses was going to come up to her and tell her to stop but instead they just stood around, talking to the guards and other nurses in the room.

I was tempted to walk up to her myself but I didn't want to cause a scene. She didn't look like she had friendly feelings toward me. I waited for the patients to fill up the hall but and then started fidgeting when I soon realized that Xander hadn't come in yet.