fourteen

Fourteen - The Best Path

Xander only watched me as I paced back and forth, his eyes following my every move. For once, though, I didn't feel unnerved that he was gazing at me the way he was. I just needed to know the truth and I finally got it, but I kind of wished I hadn't. "But I don't even know if you're telling the truth."

"Believe it or not, it's true. Diana Fawn is unable to have children. She is not your mother."

His words sent my mind into a frenzy. How could I not trust him? The man had done nothing but tell the truth ever since he took me to Deathfall. Yes, he did kidnap me and maybe that made him evil but he was not a liar. "So did my parents... did Diana and Nick know that I'm not really their daughter? Why didn't they tell me?"

Xander stood from his seat and sat back down at the edge of the table with his arms crossed, looking at me as if we were having a casual chat. We weren't having a casual chat. I was on the brink of hyperventilating. "We think your real parents manipulated Diana and Nick into thinking you were their daughter."

"What are you talking about, Xander? I think a woman would know if she had given birth or not. If what you told me is true and Diana can't actually have babies then she wouldn't have even gotten pregnant and given birth in the first place. It would've been impossible to even manipulate them into thinking I was their daughter. You're not making any sense."

The bedroom door abruptly opened, revealing Elijah in his brown coat and dark pants. He strolled in and stared at me as if he was playing a game, the amusement in his face showing through. What was it about me in distress that amused both Xander and Elijah? They were both looking at me as though I was doing stand up comedy. "Pleasure seeing you again, Ophelia." His voice was warm and dripping with honey. They were not the same as when he had spoken to my cousin.

I kept silent as they exchanged a few words. When they were finished they sat side by side on the table, and if it wasn't for the fact that I had just found out my parents weren't really my parents then I probably would've been begging on my knees for them to take me on Xander's bed. What an inappropriate thought to be having in the middle of a life crisis.

"What Xander meant by that," Elijah began talking. "Is that your real parents used spells to manipulate both Diana and Nick. They may have altered their memory and made them think you were theirs."

Xander shrugged. "I haven't told her they practised magic." The both of them talked to each other as if they really were brothers. I admired that they were so comfortable around each other. I longed for that closeness too.

Xander grabbed an apple from the table and played around with it, throwing it into the air and catching it before tossing it back up and catching it with swiftness and precision again. For a moment I was captivated but Elijah then spoke again. "We were reading about the history of an old prophecy the other day. It explained about the first time a white sorcerer and dark sorceress fell in love and had a child."

"What?"

Xander's lips twitched into a smile at my confusion.

Elijah seemed to lose some of his amusement and sighed. "Here, in our world, sorcerers and mages exist. Sorcerers are divided by two; white and dark. White and dark sorcerer, they were born with different skills in magic. White sorcerers focused primarily on defending and healing while dark ones were usually more skilled in attacking. In a way, they completed each other. For a very long time, they coexisted peacefully. It was only until one white sorcerer and a dark sorceress decided to stretch the law and have a child that the wicked war finally began. It lasted a few years and sent both the dark and white sorcerer into the brink of extinction."