sixty-three

Sixty three - A Contract 

All at once fear and panic struck me. My whole body froze, overwhelmed with emotions. When I could finally move, I immediately sprinted to the door, pounding on it with my fist, trying to generate as much noise on the other side as possible. "Hey, you've gotta help me!"

A few seconds passed and I was about to pound on the door again when a low thump suddenly echoed throughout the room. Someone on the other side had swatted the door, warning me to shut up.

I willed myself to calm down and focus. "Adam, can you hear me? Adam!"

I could just faintly hear him calling my name, but it was distorted and faint. It almost felt as though he was yelling at me from a very secluded part of my head, trying to reach me but unable to because he was not close enough.

"Adam, what do I do?"

Flashes of bright lights erupted behind my eyelids and I staggered back, holding the side of my head. Images started flooding my mind, but they were so bright I could barely see anything. The distorted voices continued but they were incomprehensible.

At some point, I couldn't see anything inside the room anymore and kneeled down to sit on the ground. I heard my name being called and snapped my head to the side. I didn't know what was real anymore.

I blinked, and suddenly, Adam's face came into view. He was peering down at me, his head shielding me from the bright light that shone behind him. "Find me."

"Where?"

There was another flash of bright light like a lightning struck and Adam's face was no longer there, replaced by the image of the Redwater Lake. There were glimpses of Xander's face and another woman who seemed familiar to me.

There was a sharp pain on the back of my head. Bright, blue eyes peered down at me, and I finally managed to get a good look at the woman's face. She had been at Athalia's wedding. "Narkissa," I muttered to myself. She had an identical twin, Ambrosia, whose face was less friendly somehow even though they were identical twins.

I could see her lips moving, but I couldn't hear her voice at all. A ringing sound pierced my ears and I brought my hands up to block them, but it was pointless since the ringing was coming from inside my head.

Narkissa suddenly repeated the same word again and again. I didn't know what she was saying but I tried to read her lips. The word had five syllables. Her face started to morph into black smoke, slowly disappearing.

"Haagenti!" a voice shouted. Then, before I could truly comprehend what was happening, the air was knocked out of me, leaving me in a breathless heap on the floor. My back arched and my shoulders dug into the ground. Then all I saw was black.

[ 47 days after the wedding ]

Upon waking up, I heard faint mumbles from beside me. I couldn't tell whether it was a man or a woman, but I couldn't bring myself to care when my head started to ache. Groaning, I tried to open my eyes, but the effort only worsened the headache.

"She's awake." It was a woman who had spoken, but I didn't recognise her. She didn't seem familiar to me at all.

"The water," another woman said.

Groaning for the second time, I forced my eyes to open even though the ache in my head seemed to gradually increase the more I opened them. My eyes were still adjusting to the light in the room when someone tilted my head up and pressed a cold surface to my lower lip. I flinched away from the object, but the person only pressed it to my lip again. "Drink," she said.