fifty-nine

Fifty nine - Breaking Point

[ 43 days after the wedding ]

Sylvia sat across from me on the couch, seeming much more at ease than the day she had last visited

Sylvia sat across from me on the couch, seeming much more at ease than the day she had last visited. She wore a long-sleeved, white lace gown and a light blue cloak that was outlined with thick, white fur. It occurred to me just then that she wasn't even a princess, yet she was wearing a dress fit for a queen.

She sat with her back straight, leg crossed, and her hands on her knee. One look at her and you would know she came from a royal family.

It was raining outside and I was grateful for it because it helped drown out the silence. Sylvia had not yet explained to me why she had suddenly shown up at my doorstep, asking me whether she could come inside. I had a suspicion it was about her baby daughter.

The man standing by the kitchen counter was so silent I almost forgot he was even there. He was a bald, stubby man, with a deep frown that seemed permanently etched onto his face. He didn't even smile when I let him into the house.

Sylvia forced a small smile. She looked too young to be a mother, but then again, all pureblood vampires are blessed with eternal youth. "Well, I came by to thank you for saving my baby," she began, her voice unusually quiet, but still confident.

I only nodded in response, afraid I would somehow say the wrong thing. Besides, I knew she wasn't finished talking yet. She didn't come over just to thank me. The man standing in my kitchen definitely wasn't there for no reason. She had brought him for a reason and judging from his appearance, I doubted it was for protection.

When she noticed that I wasn't going to talk she awkwardly averted her gaze to the stubby man who looked back at her with clear disinterest. His blinks were slow, almost as if he was trying to keep himself from falling asleep.

"It must be interesting to have a healer bird as a pet," she spoke again after a few seconds of silence. Why was she stalling?

I almost scoffed at the statement but refrained myself from doing so. I flashed her a wide smile, though, and then waited for her to continue speaking and get to the point. I wanted her out of my house as soon as possible. She reeked of roses. I wondered how Xander managed to rid himself of Sylvia's scent after spending so much time in her presence.

"Did you notice anything odd when you were holding my daughter?"

The question, I must admit, threw me off guard just a little. "Odd?" I paused, gauging her reaction. "Odd as in your baby has blue eyes even though neither you or Xander have blue eyes?"

Her jaw tightened, but not in anger. She was startled, probably not expecting me to be so blunt about the fact that I knew. Did she think I was going to beat around the bush? I didn't give a damn if she was the princess's cousin. "I'm..."

"How did you do it, then? Mages and doctors came by the castle to try and heal your baby, right? What did you do to those who know the baby isn't Lord Deathfall's?"