fifty-eight

Fifty eight - Peace, Light, Love

-

♪ Oh, honey

I'd walk through fire for you

Just let me adore you

Like it's the only thing I'll ever do ♪

[ Harry Styles - Adore You ]

-

There was a bitter taste in my mouth whenever I swallowed. Cold sweat trickled down my forehead as I walked back and forth across the living room.

The window curtains were drawn shut—a strict order from Xander. I had made myself a hot cup of tea to drink as I waited for Xander's arrival, but it ended up being left untouched, sitting on the coffee table to cool.

I closed my eyes, trying to ease my nerves. In about a few minutes, I was going to be seeing Xander's baby daughter, and the thought made me want to vomit. It was too soon. Far too soon.

So many questions ran through my mind as I stood in the middle of the room. What if I can't heal her? What if my power doesn't work? What will Sylvia think of me?

"Perhaps you should sit down."

I briefly glanced at Adam as he suddenly appeared on the couch, sitting down leisurely as though it was just an ordinary evening.

"Seriously, don't tell me what to do right now, Adam."

"I wasn't telling you what to do. I was merely suggesting."

"Fine, sorry. I'm just really freaked out. What if I can't heal her? As much as I may not like the baby, I don't want her dead either."

"Then you will save her. You are a direct descendant of a white sorcerer. You were born to heal people."

I didn't reply. My hands trembled. I was afraid. So afraid. I wanted to save her. I wanted to save Xander's daughter, but there was something about the thought of seeing her for the first time that made me jittery.

My heart felt like it was only seconds away from combusting. "I don't think this is a good idea," I muttered quietly to myself, not expecting Adam to hear.

"You must heal her, therefore you will. I know you will."

I swallowed, watching Adam as he traced patterns on the armrest of the couch. His words didn't comfort me in the slightest. I was afraid of being a failure, a disappointment. I saw how Xander looked at me when he asked me to heal his baby. I saw the fear and panic in his expression, the hope in his piercing eyes. I saw it all. I... felt it all.

I heard a car pull up outside my house and froze. Drawing the window curtains just a little, I peeked outside to see Xander getting out of the car. I could only watch in horror as he helped Sylvia out of the car, her baby held close to her chest, cocooned in a thick, white blanket.

Sylvia observed her surroundings warily before turning to Xander and saying something. Xander shook his head, replying something back.

As I sucked in a deep breath, Sylvia's eyes flickered towards mine, sending me jumping back to avoid eye contact.

Adam was nowhere to be found anymore, just like I had expected, but I knew he was watching from somewhere.

I could hear Sylvia speaking as they neared my front door, complaining about why Xander had brought her here. "We're wasting time, Xander! She needs saving!" I heard her protest.