nine

Nine - Warning

As I said my goodbye I couldn't help but glance at Elijah once more. He stood beside Paige like he didn't have a care in the world. His arm was wrapped around her waist, but I felt that he was empty of emotion somehow. What a weird coincidence it was. What were the chances Paige would end up dating someone related to Xander?

I spent my day cleaning my house and lounging around, the whole time debating whether Elijah and Xander really were related. They didn't look alike. In fact, they were quite the opposite of each other. Xander had dark hair while Elijah had blond. Xander's eyes were light grey and Elijah's were hazel.

Two things they shared in common though were their height and peculiar way of speaking and behaving. Both of them were also strangely handsome. From what I had seen so far, they had no physical flaw. Shame that one of them was a psychopath and the other one did not know how to stop staring at people.

I laid in bed that night hoping I would not dream of either Xander or Elijah.

"Are you all right?"

I stared at Abigail as she entered the break room with a stack of paper in one hand.

"I'm fine. Just a little tired."

She set the papers down onto one of the tables and rummaged through it quickly. "Got much sleep last night?"

I watched as her eyebrows furrowed in concentration when she plucked out a sheet of paper from the stack. "It was just like any other night."

Lies. My sleep had been interrupted by another dream of Xander. I woke up in the middle of the night not remembering what I had dreamt of but couldn't go back to sleep in fear that I would dream of him again. I tried to fall back asleep but just ended up tossing and turning in my bed until I was showering in sweat.

I looked up at Abigail when I heard her hum under her breath. "You don't look too good." She spared me another glance before looking back down at whatever was on the paper she was holding up.

"Nightmares."

More lies. I couldn't exactly remember what I had dreamt of but I just knew it involved Xander and was very far from a nightmare. The number of times I had dreamt of him was disturbingly weird. What was spurring these dreams? I genuinely didn't know what to do to stop it.

I watched as Abigail left the room, stack of paper still sitting on the table. I risked a glance its way and was about to stand to look at what was written on it when two nurses walked into the room.

I sighed and washed up my mug before exiting the break room to resume my work.

There had been no sunshine at all ever since this morning. The clouds were dark and angry. I felt as though I was being scolded for having inappropriate dreams of Xander. I was hoping the clouds would clear up just enough to let some sunshine peek through. I needed some warmth to help lift my mood a little.

The rest of the day was nothing eventful but when the clock hit 3 p.m. I spotted someone in the waiting room of the visiting centre. I was almost done with my work but I could not help but walk up to the man.

"Elijah, what are you doing here?"

He looked up at me and even though there was no sunshine at all, his hazel eyes still sparkled brilliantly. I felt my stomach drop at how handsome he looked, sitting on the chair, blond hair all neat and gelled back. "Visiting Xander. Why else would I be here?"

I rarely came to the visiting centre so I wasn't quite sure whether this was his first time or not. "Oh, yeah, of course. Well, nice to see you again I guess."