sixty-four

Sixty four - Outcome

[ 48 days after the wedding // 1 day after signing the contract ]

"Lord Deathfall sends his apologies for stealing your pendant, but he wants you to know it would've been too much of a risk to leave Haagenti with you any longer," Cullen said apprehensively.

I wrapped my arms around myself, suddenly feeling cold at the mention of Adam's true name. "He told me he was a spirit."

"All demons were once a spirit, Ophelia. Lord Deathfall suspects Haagenti might've transformed into a demon after your father's death, but there is no concrete evidence."

I watched Cullen fidget with his sleeves. He definitely had something to say. "Why didn't he come here himself? Why did he send you instead?"

"He is still coming to terms with your sudden departure."

I scoffed humourlessly. "I don't think that would've stopped him from coming here himself."

Cullen sighed solemnly before straightening his back as if he was preparing himself to tell me something important. "Ophelia, Kyle didn't hurt any of the girls in the mansion. It had been Haagenti all along."

I continued to stare at Cullen motionlessly. "Kyle said he did it," I mumbled. I didn't want to seem dejected by what he had told me, but I couldn't help the feeling of regret that started to consume me when I thought of how sure I had been that Kyle was really the perpetrator. I had been so sure it was Kyle even after Xander voiced out his uncertainty. "The girl even said it was him."

"Haagenti took over Kyle's body to hurt those girls. That is why Jessica Brown said it was Kyle who had attacked her. Haagenti then made Kyle take the blame, telling him he had to it or Lord Deathfall would be harmed."

I pressed my shaking fingers to my mouth, feeling lightheaded from trying to process all the information Cullen was giving me. "This doesn't make any sense. Why did he do it?"

"None of us know. He was cast away by Narkissa before anyone had a chance to question him about anything. Haagenti doesn't belong in our world, and the longer he stayed here, the more powerful and dangerous he became."

"Kyle is released? I'd like to see him if it's possible."

Cullen's lips tugged down into a frown as he exhaled a heavy sigh. "He is becoming increasingly ill each passing minute. Haagenti's curse on him is... too powerful. It is only a matter of time until he—"

I shook my head frantically. "No. There must be some way to help him." I blinked, suddenly realising that there was a possibility that Kyle was going to die because of me. An innocent boy was cursed because I didn't have the courage to tell Xander about Adam.

Sick with remorse, I covered my face with my hands, feeling my eyes glaze with a glassy layer of tears. I pursed my lips in order to suppress the sob bubbling up in my throat. Just when I thought one problem had been solved, another problem arose.

"How long?" I asked, keeping my question short so my voice wouldn't crack.

"Only a matter of days. His body is deteriorating rapidly. His body is eating itself from the inside."

I inhaled a sharp breath, refusing to imagine what Kyle must look like. "Xander... he doesn't want to see me, does he? It's why he didn't come."

Cullen's silence was enough for me to know.

It took every ounce of me to hold my tears back. The thought of Xander not wanting to see me hurt, to say the least. "Uh, can Kyle be saved with a caladrius?"