forty

Forty - Moving On

-

♪ What's wrong?

You've been asking

But I don't have an answer 

[ Wallows - Are You Bored Yet? ]

-

"Did you kill Allison?"

He only huffed. "I already answered that."

"You killed her, didn't you?"

"I swear to you I did not. I mean no ill intent."

I doubted him. Allison was killed right after Adam came. Besides that, the mages have found out and fully believe the murderer is not a human. What were the chances that Adam had been the one to kill her? I just needed to find his motive.

"I was your father's friend. Would he friend a murderer, Ophelia? My purpose is to help, not kill."

"Then who killed Allison then? It has to be someone in here."

Adam sat on my bed, also looking deep in thought. I had told him maybe he ought to change the little pink dress the little girl always wore but he keeps insisting spirits do not need to shower or to change. They don't have body odour. So far, that was true.

I paced my room, trying to think as hard as I can about that night. The psychopomp had come so abruptly. Did that mean anything? It stared right at the place Allison was murdered before the scream sounded. Did he see Allison get murdered?

"Maybe we should talk to the psychopomp I saw."

Adam scoffed. "Psychopomps don't talk, young one."

"Maybe a mage could give him a mouth or something."

"People have tried in the past. They only end up getting hurt."

I sighed. Adam was right. Psychopomps never spoke. The most they could give me was float and stare.

"Is Lord Deathfall sure all the servants are human except for Kyle?"

"Yeah. He checked too."

Adam nodded. "Then perhaps Kyle should be monitored. If he decided to kill another then maybe I could catch him in the act."

"You think he's the murderer?"

"Better safe than sorry."

"Right. But how are we going to keep watching him?"

"We?" Adam asked. "Oh, young one, you have other things to do. I hope you haven't forgotten that you have a wedding reception to attend."

"You're not coming?"

"Lord Deathfall will be there with you. He will protect you."

"No, Adam, I need the support."

He shook his head. "You will be in no danger there with Lord Deathfall. This place needs someone to watch over it. Besides, I'm not too fond of weddings."

I sighed, staring at him for a few seconds before giving in and nodding. He was right. Xander would keep me safe, no doubt about that. "It just doesn't feel right to go and party when someone just died."

"Nonsense. Death should always be celebrated."

I stepped down the stairs, purse in hand. My hair had been neatly styled into a low, flat, twisted bun.