fifty-five

Fifty five - Blue

[ 34 days after the wedding ]

I stared at the bread knife in my hand, focusing on the reflection of my face on the grey metal. My eyes trailed along the blade, noticing there were tiny droplets of rain on the once clean cutlery.

I blinked, looking up, my eyes zeroing in on the makeshift archery target I had made out of a block of foam.

I held my palm facing up with the bread knife lying flat on my hand. Slowly and steadily, I watched as the knife lifted in the air by itself, obeying my silent command.

I kept the blade as steady as I could with my mind, willing it to aim directly at the centre of the target. I caught a red glimpse in the corner of my eye and immediately sent the knife forward.

I blinked when the knife missed the target completely, planting itself into a tree trunk. I huffed, retrieving the knife with my telekinesis and bringing it back to me slowly, afraid that if I moved it too fast I might accidentally injure myself.

I tried once again, to no avail, watching as it flew right past the target. I took a break after that, walking into the cottage to warm myself in front of the fireplace.

There was only about a week left until Sylvia gave birth. I didn't know why I was so impatient about the delivery. I wasn't going to see the baby anytime soon. I doubted Xander would ever let me see his child.

I made sure to avoid Xander as much as I could ever since he controlled my dream the night I had my first date with Cullen. I wanted him to have a chance to move on too. I was finding my redemption in Cullen, and he should've been finding his in Sylvia.

"Tired?" Adam asked, walking out of the bedroom.

"Why were you in my bedroom?" I asked, suspicion beginning to grow.

"You have fascinating books. Truly." He glanced at the fireplace. "I'm surprised that human you've been seeing is not here. I thought you'd be attached at the hips."

I glared at Adam. "He has a name, you know?"

Adam rolled his eyes. "Curly, I know."

"Cullen!" I objected exasperatedly. It was such a wonder to me why Adam didn't like Cullen.

"You do not belong with him."

I sat leisurely on the couch. "So who do I belong with? Someone who married another woman and impregnated her?" I smiled bitterly.

Adam was also calm as he replied. "You're angry because he kept you safe? Do you have any idea what Lord Redwater would have done if Lord Deathfall didn't marry Lady Sylvia?"

I stiffened in anger. "And you know?"

"You think Lord Deathfall didn't spend many nights awake, thinking of ways to get out of the arranged marriage? How many countless hours he spends in Redwater, trying to redeem his friendship with Lord Redwater in hopes that he would change his mind about everything? Right up until the morning of his wedding day. I bet you didn't know."

My eyes burned with tears. "Okay, there's no point in bringing it up now."

"Once, I saw the Lord begging." Adam laughed wryly. "Lords don't beg, girl."

I swallowed, unable to hide how hurt I was anymore.

"He loves you so deeply." He looked at me and sighed. "You hold a very special place in his heart. Filled in the empty space that had formed and expanded from the absence of his mother."