twenty

Twenty - Home Sweet Home

A tear slipped down my cheek as I listened to Elijah talking to Xander on the phone. I longed for my old life. I wouldn't have minded working at the asylum. I was proving to be so much trouble for both Xander and Elijah.

I heard Elijah growl before cussing at Xander. I sat on my bed sobbing. I didn't know what I could do to make all the problems go away. This was all because of me. Because I couldn't keep my cursed mouth shut. I imagined what would've happened if I hadn't asked about Lord Moonbright to Charon and Xander. I wouldn't have been sitting on that bed in Elijah's bedroom.

"I didn't sense Kira there. She might have used an enchantment for some reason. Yes, I know, I should have been more careful. She's in her room. Fine."

When I heard silence I wiped my tears and laid on my bed with my back facing the door. I heard footsteps stop right outside the bedroom. I knew it was Elijah.

The door creaked open. I stiffened but I tried not to show it and scrunched my eyes shut. The door closed shortly after, but the sound of footsteps inside the room was enough sign that Elijah was in the room with me.

He circled the bed, coming to the side I was facing. I felt the bed in front of me dip when he sat down. Why was I even pretending to sleep? It wasn't even late.

I almost flinched when I felt cold fingers on my forehead. They trailed down to my temple and then my cheekbones and chin. His fingertips were ice cold against my skin and I almost shivered when they made their way down to my exposed neck.

"How strange you are, Ophelia."

I gritted my jaw and then opened my eyes. I knew Elijah knew that I wasn't really asleep. I couldn't have possibly slept that fast after what had happened back at the lake.

I looked up at Elijah's hazel eyes. I shamelessly stared at him. When else could I stare at a vampire for so long and not get scolded for it? There were subtle hints on his face that made him different from us humans, but you couldn't possibly notice it if you didn't know vampires existed.

He was handsome, but not nearly as handsome as Xander. Xander's features were softer and kinder. Elijah's were harsh, the shape of his eyebrows and mouth unforgiving and merciless. His cheekbones were sharper and more defined. His complexion was also pale, almost the colour of paper— a tad too unnatural. Because Xander was only a half-blood, I could still see the pink hue on his skin and that made him look more normal. 

"I'm sorry about everything," I muttered quietly. I was apologizing for being a pain in the ass. It wasn't my intention to keep both Xander and Elijah on their feet. I could only imagine how much easier their life was before I came.

I sat up on the bed. He finally lifted his hand off my neck and set it on his lap. I studied his reaction closely.

"Xander was not too happy when I told him we had an encounter with Charon's close relative."

"She might tell Charon," I whispered, not trusting my own voice.

"Charon is not a moron. He knew you weren't human as soon as he touched you and nothing happened." There was a tenderness in his voice when he spoke. I didn't know why but it made me feel more uneasy than before.

"You've been crying," he pointed out.

"What? No," I defended.

He chuckled. "You look more like a rose than an ophelia."

I gulped. "What?"

He smirked, obviously amused at my confusion. For a moment we just stared. I didn't know what to do so I slightly smiled.