sixty-five

Sixty five- The Tree

[ 52 days after the wedding // 5 days after signing the contract ]

"She only has two weeks to find evidence," I spoke to Cullen, who was visibly nervous as he watched me put on my scarf

"I've tried to find anything, but I'm beginning to think that maybe he had no accomplice," Cullen replied grimly.

I didn't say anything back, knowing in the back of my mind there was a possibility that what Cullen had said was true. But there was still some more time to try to find evidence, and I wasn't going to stand by and watch idly as the days passed by.

The deal didn't sit quite right with me ever since Ophelia first mentioned it. If the King truly wanted justice, why did he give Ophelia a limited period of time to find the evidence? Would it have mattered if the evidence was found after the two weeks timeframe?

Now that Elijah was working directly with the crown as their seer, I had no doubt the King would turn a blind eye if any evidence was ever presented. But I still had to try for Ophelia's sake.

"Lord Deathfall!" Cullen exclaimed when he noticed me heading toward the door.

I acknowledged him with a nod while continuing to walk down the stairs. "Cullen, you have two choices. Either you stay here and watch over Kyle or try to find something that could damage Elijah's reputation."

Genevieve looked extremely anxious as she watched from the doorway of the kitchen. I could sense she wanted to ask me something, but I was in too much of a hurry to explain. The longer I stayed, the more time Elijah would have to eradicate any proof about him that could aid his defeat.

"I have tried, Lord Deathfall, I really have, but—"

"Cullen, if you truly have feelings for Ophelia, giving up wouldn't be such an easy option."

I didn't wait for his reply before walking out of the building, heading straight toward the car waiting for me in front of the house. The driver smiled curtly at me as he opened the door for me to enter.

As the car started to move forward, I angled my head to the side to see Cullen standing on the porch with a dejected face. I had treated him harshly, but the dire situation would have only worsened if I displayed any concern.

"Where to, Lord Deathfall?" The driver asked as we pulled out of the property.

I extended my hand through the partition window, a piece of paper held between my forefinger and middle finger. "To this address. I've someone to meet there."

"