thirty-four

Thirty four - Negotiations

I laid back in the bathtub, trailing my finger across the water and watching it ripple. The water smelled of salt from the bath salt and the mirror was fogging up from the steaming water.

I leaned my head back and willed myself not to cry. I didn't know why the thought of Xander being with Sylvia hurt me so much but as I sat there in the water I couldn't help but let my sobs be heard by the empty bathroom.

I took my time to cry because I knew Xander wasn't home. He was visiting Elijah to speak about his supposed vision of Sylvia and him getting married. Xander told me he had already suspected it wasn't purely the king's plan but he wasn't going to disobey his order and then accuse someone of somehow brainwashing the king.

But no matter how many times Xander had told me he wasn't happy about the wedding arrangement, I knew in the back of my mind that it was still going to happen whether he was happy about it or not.

"I shouldn't have gotten so attached," I spoke to no one but myself. It felt silly but that was the least of my problem. "It was just so easy, you know? Catching feelings for him, I mean."

I huffed and submerged my head under the water before holding my breath for as long as I could. I couldn't tell whether I was still crying or not but it didn't matter. I still didn't feel any better than I did before.

I got out of the bathtub when my lungs finally started to burn from being underwater for too long. I had been in the water for so long that the once steaming water had turned quite cold and my fingers were starting to crinkle up.

When I finished dressing I went downstairs to sit in the living room. I sat in front of the fireplace and sat hugging my legs. I pressed my eyes to my knees so no one could see me crying. I could've easily avoided anyone seeing me by staying in my room but I felt lonely. So lonely, in fact, I was afraid I would do something stupid and irrational.

"Miss Fawn, we've made you dinner."

"No offence, Genevieve, but I really don't want it." I sniffed.

She sighed. "You barely touched your breakfast and lunch. I will not let you skip dinner. You need food."

I shook my head. "I said I don't want it," I spoke softly, afraid that I would regret it if I raised my voice at her. She had done so much for me it was difficult to even be mad at her.

"Please, Miss Fawn."

I did nothing but stare at the fireplace. I didn't feel like talking. I didn't want Genevieve or anybody else to question why my mood had suddenly dropped. Fortunately, Genevieve understood and I heard her footsteps walking away until I couldn't hear it anymore.

Sebastian had let me take the day off because he needed to be somewhere anyway. I didn't know where he was but that was the least of my concern and to be frankly honest, I didn't care at all.

I heard the gate at the front open and immediately stood to look out the window. It was almost dark outside but I could see Xander getting out of the car and advancing toward the front door.

I hastily ran upstairs and hid behind the wall in the hallway. I was panting by the time I stood still and listened.

"Lord Deathfall, how did it go?" I heard Genevieve ask.

"Fine. I will not speak of it here."

"I'm sorry to ask but you're still..."

He grunted. "Yes, I am still to be married to Sylvia."

My eyes widened when I heard footsteps up the stairs. As silently as I could, I ran toward my room.

When I reached the door handle a blast of air passed me and suddenly Xander was standing in front of me and blocking the entrance to my room.