thirty-seven

Thirty seven - Think of Me

I held my hand to my mouth when I saw the little girl sitting by the bay window. She looked up at me as I walked in. Her hair was platinum blonde, cascading down her back in waves. Upon closer inspection, I saw her eyes. They were the most magnificent colour of bright blue. The eyes, though beautiful, glinted both wickedly and ominously, but I reminded myself again that Adam was a friend.

"You're Adam. How did you get in here?" I whispered, afraid someone outside my room would hear.

"I made myself invisible to those except you."

I was surprised when I heard his voice had changed. For a moment I thought maybe someone was messing around with me, trying to make me think a spirit had possessed a dying little girl when in fact, she was perfectly fine and healthy.

We can also talk with our minds. Try it.

"Can you hear me?"

The girl or Adam, should I say, smiled and then nodded.

"How?" I asked.

"You are linked to me. You are the person that gave me life again."

I looked down at the dress the little girl was wearing. "She was dying. Why would she wear a dress like that?" The dress was a pale colour of pink with white glitter adorning the skirt.

"She was dying in clothes that could barely have passed for clothing. I stole it for her."

I nodded, unsure of what to make of that. "So why are you here?"

Adam pursed his lips. "Will you come to the backyard and show me your power?"

"What?"

"I was a sorcerer once. I could be of better help than Sebastian."

I wanted to refuse but I knew this was the perfect opportunity to see whether Adam really was who he was telling me he was. It was the perfect opportunity to ask him more about my father so I could make up my mind on whether I believed him or not.

I motioned for him to follow me and then shrugged on a cream lamb wool jacket before making my way to the garden. The house was quieter than usual. As we walked out to the garden I shivered and pulled the jacket tighter around me.

There was no wind but the air was cold and seemed to lick every inch of my exposed skin and creep beneath my clothes, spreading against my skin like ice. My breaths were vapour and my face and fingers numbed.

"What if Xander's watching?" I asked, looking out toward the towering treeline just beyond the fence. It was so close yet so far away.

"Then we shall talk with our mind. Just pretend you are training by yourself."

"What do you want to see?"

"What can you do?"

I contemplated for a minute before looking down at the grass. I willed myself to draw energy from the grass. I stopped just as soon as I felt that it was enough. There was a small patch of grass underneath me that had browned, just on the verge of dying.

"What did you do that for?"

I looked at Adam. "I needed... energy."

"Yes, but do you see what you have done to the grass?"

I looked back down at the patch again and then at Adam. "What was I supposed to do?"

Adam circled around me before coming to a stop. "We face a dark time. You need to be able to draw mana from somewhere that does not leave a mark behind. Try drawing it from tree roots from underneath trees or animals under the ground. When you're ready I might even tell you to draw mana from me."