Chapter 3

The morning was almost over by the time I dragged myself out of bed. I had way too much to drink last night and my head was pounding. I turned the shower on so the water was scalding before stepping under. As I stood under the boiling heat realization washed over me. I had done it. Ben was out of my life forever. I was surprised at how okay I was with everything. I should be feeling more broken up about this... right?

I pulled myself out of my thoughts and the shower to get ready for my day. I had no plans for that amazing Sunday other than enjoy it. I decided that would be best done by heading out into the world.

I had a quick breakfast before heading out. I stood in front of my apartment wanting an adventure. I put in my headphones and followed my feet. I decided to go with some music that went with my mood, light, happy, and most importantly, free.

I found myself at the waterfront and decided to take off my shoes and dance along the water. The sand in between my toes, water rushing over my feet. It was the perfect moment. My head bobbed along to the music. My eyes drifted close as the beauty of the moment washed over me.

Suddenly, I was pulled out of my dancing when I crashed into someone, sending both of us crashing to the ground. Thankfully we landed in the sand. I pulled out my headphones as I pushed myself off them apologizing. "Oh my god. I am so sorry! I didn't see you. I was stuck in my own head. I am so sorry."

Immediately my ears were met with magical laughter as a small woman with a short blue bob sat up brushing sand off her. Her eyes met mine, a haunting shade of slate grey that made my breath catch, "Hey, it's cool. I was in my own world too. I'm Daisy."

"Rebecca." I smiled, "So what has you all distracted?"

"I just love staring at the water. The way it changes every time you look at it. You look away for a moment and suddenly there's a new colour, a new wave, a new reflection. It's magical." She got a far off look in her eyes as she looked out over the water again before she shook her head laughing, "I'm sorry, that sounded crazy. I'm an artist and I'm just fascinated by water. I guess it's kinda my job to notice these things."

"I totally get it. I'm a musician myself and I find myself doing things others might find strange. Like dancing by myself on a beach." Our eyes met and we both laughed. I found myself studying her. There was something about Daisy that was just so intriguing. I wanted to know more. I was drawn to her like a magnet, unable to pull away.

"That is so cool! I just moved here and haven't had time to check out the music scene here yet. Are you in a band?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm the lead singer actually. So where did you move from?"

"A very small town up north that you will have never heard of. I didn't really fit in there, so I packed up everything and moved to the big city!"

"Well, if you want I can show you around. There's a really nice coffee place not far from here that displays art from local artists. I know the owner, maybe he can put some of your stuff up." I suggested. Please let her say yes.

"Seriously? You don't know me. I could be shit."

"Yeah come on, they make the best muffins ever." I stood up and held out my hand to her. She took my hand with a smile and let me help her up. Tiny bolts of electricity travelled up my arm at her touch. My eyes were glued to her. Fuck, she was tiny. Didn't even come up to my chin. She had the most adorable outfit on too. A white sundress with a ruffled skirt. She almost looked like a doll.