Chapter 19

"Dean, I-I..." Tears streamed down Kim's cheeks as she ran over to him, wrapping her arms around Dean's neck. He stood there for a moment before returning the hug. They stood there, arms wrapped around each other before Kim pulled away to look him in the eyes, "I'm so sorry."

Dean deflated and looked down. I could feel the shock hitting me like a punch to the stomach. This isn't how it was supposed to go. "I understand," Dean said with a flat voice, devoid of that spark that made Dean who he was. "This was stupid. I shouldn't-"

Kim cut him off when she pulled him in for a passionate kiss. Dean's eyes flew wide open before he relaxed into her embrace with a huge smile on his lips. Kim pulled away to look at him in the eyes, her hand reaching up to caress his face, "I'm sorry I've been such an idiot. I loved it when you surprised me in kindergarten. The stupid girls I was trying to be friends with made me turn you away. I'm sorry that I never told you that I had feelings for you. I'm sorry I'm always running away. I'm sorry for every moment that you were left alone while I was off doing god knows what. I'm sorry."

"So... you'll go out with me?"

"Of course, you big idiot."

I started up the chorus of cheers that filled the room. Kim and Dean started, looking at us with wide eyes. It was clear that at the moment they had forgotten that they were surrounded by their friends. All my chronically single friends were finding love and I couldn't be happier.

"Fuck." Adam swore turning everyone's attention to him, "Am I the only single one now?"

"I'm in the same boat as you bud." Reid gave Adam a clap on the back with a smile on his face.

"Yeah, but you're leaving soon. I'm going to be stuck with a bunch of couples from now on."

"You'll find someone someday," I reassured him.

"No thanks. I'm good being single. I love it."

"Famous last words," Daisy responded with her trademark mischievous smile.

*****

The rest of the week was so much fun. Kim and Dean went on a date the next day and I've hardly seen one without the other since. I suppose they were making up for lost time. Reid left again, this time to Cambodia. I was sad to see him go, but I knew he needed to.

On Friday night, Daisy and I curled up watching one of my favourite movies, The Craft. We were about halfway through when my phone started to ring. I looked down at the caller ID to see Lillian's name pop up.

"Why's your mom calling?" Daisy asked as she paused the movie.

"No clue. You good if I answer it?"

"Of course, I'm staying right here in case she tries to start anything."

I gave Daisy a quick kiss before taking a calming breath. Once I was relatively calm, I answered the phone, "Hello."

"Hi Rebecca. How are you doing?"

My face screwed up in confusion. She never starts conversations so civilly. Typically, we're screaming at each other in less than ten seconds. "Um, good. Just watching a movie with Daisy."

"That's good dear. So you're still... uh... with her?"

"Yes. She is my girlfriend."

"Listen Rebecca, I may not understand your choices, but we are still family. I wanted to invite you over to dinner Sunday night."

I sat up in alarm. Civil conversation and a dinner invitation? This is nothing like the Lillian I knew. Something had to be wrong. That is the only explanation, "Are you okay? Is something wrong?"