Chapter 25

It was the first show of our tour, a sold-out show in our hometown stadium. Thousands of people were here to see us perform. I was beaming with excitement as I sat backstage listening to the openers. I ran through all my vocal exercises and drank lots of water to prepare. I just wanted to do an amazing job. All our friends were in the audience with backstage passes so they can come backstage after the show.

The record was released to huge success and critically acclaimed. Everyone was so excited about our tour. All our shows were either limited tickets or sold-out. Just thinking about how many people were going to watch us perform was mind-blowing.

"Hey Bug, you ready for this?" Dean asked as he sat down beside me.

"Of course. I can't wait."

"And Daisy is really going to come with us on tour?"

"Thankfully she is. As long as she has her paints, she can work from anywhere."

"Just try not to rub your happiness in our faces too much. I'm going to miss Jack so much." Lincoln groaned.

"Kim's staying too." Dean sighed, "I never thought I'd be the one leaving her behind."

"You're not leaving anyone behind." I reassured him, "They knew that touring was part of our lives. They are going to miss you, but they love you both so much."

"Alright enough of the sad shit!" Adam jumped in, "This is the first show of our tour and it's in our hometown! Let's get psyched!"

"You're just excited about the chicks you're going to meet." Dean teased.

"Hell yeah! I'm the only single person in a popular rock band. I need to take advantage of the situation."

"You're all dumbasses, but I love you guys," I said when the stage director told us it was time to head out. I hopped to my feet absolutely brimming with excitement, "Let's go do this shit."

We walked backstage and stood in the wings. I peaked out, looking at the gigantic crowd. I couldn't believe how many people were out there. I wouldn't be able to find Daisy if I tried, but just knowing she was out there brought a smile to my face.

The lights went down, and the crowd lost it. We quietly snuck onto the stage to our places in the dark. A spotlight came down to illuminate Dean on the drum platform with his sticks in the air. He started us on a heart beat rhythm. Adam began picking at his guitar as four spots came to illuminate just the members of the band.

(White Flag by Bishop Briggs)

Take a hit, shoot me down, shoot me down.
I won't ever hit the ground, hit the ground.
Playing dead I'll never do
Gotta keep an eye on you.
Patience is wearing thin, paper thin.
Promises broke again, what a sin.
But it only feeds my energy
Don't expect no sympathy.

The lights cut out so it was just one spotlight illuminating me. With this song, it was important to get the intensity just right.

Smoke, fire, it's all going up
Don't you know I ain't afraid to spill a little blood
Smoke, fire, Flares are going up
Flares are going up.

I pulled my microphone off its stand right as Dean hit the drums and all the lights came on. I was moving across the stage, jumping and getting the crowd moving.