Chapter 10

Author's note:

I thought I'd do something different so here is a little peek into the mind of Mel!

Mel's Point of View

"Okay, just a casual working dinner. Contracts are printed and ready to go. Everything will go according to plan. You've got this Mel." I gave myself a little pep talk as I finished getting dressed. I stood in front of the mirror, assessing my choice. A tight-fitted body suit, skinny jeans with a flowing cardigan on top. "Okay not bad. You are not dressing up because this is not a date. Just a casual dinner with a friend. An extremely attractive, just your type, friend."

My phone started ringing and I saw Rebecca's number pop up. I quickly answered, "Hey what's up?"

"Hey, I just started my break and wanted to see if you were already overthinking tonight."

"Ugh. How did you know?" I groaned.

"Cause you always freak out before a date."

As much as I wanted to deny it, she was right. Classic over-thinker right here. "Fine. I am. And it's not a date!"

"Keep telling yourself that." I could practically hear her smirk through the phone, "What are you wearing?"

"Jeans, a white shirt. Nothing special." I ran my hands over my shirt trying to convince myself I wasn't dressing up. I was keeping it casual. I always wear low-cut tops to hang out with friends... not!

"Yes, and I'm sure you're appropriately covered up." Sometimes I wish she didn't know me so well. "Just relax Mel. How long has it been since you went on a date?"

"Too long. What if I fuck it up?"

"Then you fuck it up. You move along and be the Mel I know and love."

I smiled to myself. I was glad I had her to talk me down from my freakouts. Between Kim and I, she had her job cut out for her. I sometimes wonder how she came to be friends with the two most high-strung people on the planet, "I love you Red."

"I love you too. Now go have fun with Andrew. Don't do anything I wouldn't do!"

"And what's that?"

"Exactly!"

I laughed as we said our goodbyes. I ordered an Uber, grabbed my bag with the contracts, and headed outside. I got in the car to head to Andrew's apartment.

When I pulled up I had to double check the address because this place was way too nice. I dialled Andrew's number and he picked up on the second ring. "Hey Mel! You on your way?"

"I'm at the address you gave me but I'm not sure it's right."

He laughed gently into the phone, "You're here. Go to the front desk and give them your name. They'll bring you up."

"You've got a front desk in your building?" I asked as I walked up to the door. Before I even got there, a doorman was opening it for me. I almost had to double-take when he bowed his head to me. "Who are you?" I asked into the phone.

"You'll have to come up and see."

I hung up the phone and went to the desk. The man greeted me with a smile. "Hello Miss. How can I help you?"

"Hi, my name's Melissa. I'm supposed to be meeting Andrew Radcliffe."

"Oh yes. I was told to expect you. Please follow me." I followed the man to the elevator where he pressed the button for the penthouse before swiping a card. The elevator began to rise and I found myself wondering what I'd gotten myself into. Who the hell was Andrew?