Chapter 18

The rest of the weekend was spent relaxing and planning the surprise for Kim. It felt like all the pieces of my life were falling into place. Everything was coming up Rebecca.

That, of course, came crashing down as the car broke down on our way back home. Dean had the hood popped and was trying to fix it, but he had to admit defeat and climbed back in. "We're going to have to call a tow." He sighed, "I think it's an easy fix, so we should be back on the road soon." I could feel the nerves rolling off of him. I knew he wanted to get home as fast as possible to be with Kim.

"It's Sunday, all the shops are going to be closed. We're probably going to have to stay overnight somewhere." Reid said.

"No, we're not. There has to be somewhere open."

"Dean, our plans can wait a day." I gave his shoulder a squeeze as Reid called the tow. We sat around for about an hour before the tow guy finally pulled up. He looked at the engine, but it wasn't looking good.

"Yeah, you're stuck bud." The driver said in a thick rural accent, "I'll take ya into town and get ya set up in the motel for the night. The shop next door are some real stand-up guys and should have ya back on the road in no time."

Dean swore. Our plans for tonight were going to have to be tabled for tomorrow. The tow guy hooked us up to his truck quickly and soon we were pulling in front of a garage. We got out of the car and walked over to the motel.

"It's... pink," Daisy said as we looked up at the building. Pink would be one of the only ways to describe the place. The siding was painted light pink with white trim and hot pink doors. Even the roof was pink. The place was a bit run down but didn't look super sketchy. It had just seen better days.

"Come on. It's an adventure." I said as I hooked my arm around Daisy's shoulders. We went to the front office where we were able to get a room. The guy told us they had a rec room, a bit weird for a motel, but so was the pink.

When we got to the room, I wasn't surprised to see the pink theme carried on to the room. Pink floral bedspreads, pink striped wallpaper, pink shag carpet. It was like a Barbie had been sick all over the hotel.

"Well, this place sucks." Dean sighed as he plopped down on one of the beds. He looked absolutely defeated. I hated seeing it. This is Dean. He's the life of the party, throw a party on a Monday night, cheer you up when you're sad guy. He doesn't do defeated.

"No! Well, kinda... It has character!" I said trying to put a bit of positivity on the night, "We're going to make the best of it, and at least you can have a proper shower before you see Kim."

"It smells gross in here," Daisy said, her nose crinkling. Not really helping with the cheering-up-Dean committee. 

"Okay, yes, it smells like an old lady. So, let's crack open the windows and air it out. We can check out the rec room while we wait." I looked over at Reid hoping that he could help me out.

"I'm with Red." He agreed, "Let's go see what this place has to offer."

We cracked open some windows and went to the rec room. There was a card table, pool table, some vending machines, but the thing that drew my eye in was the pink piano.

"So who's up for a game of pool?" Dean asked.

"You're on," Reid said.

Normally, I'm all for some pool. I was pretty good, but something about that piano was calling my name, "I'm going to fiddle with the piano. You guys have fun though."

"We will. Write us a hit for our album."

"I'll try." I went and sat at the piano, opening it up. I played a simple C major scale. It was thankfully in tune. Nothing worse than finding out a piano was out of tune.