Chapter 22

I spent a week in the hospital so they could keep an eye on me. The story of my attack had made the national news. I was receiving hundreds of flowers every day. Mel had taken a picture of me in my hospital bed, giving a peace sign and smile, which had made the rounds online. She made sure to tell everyone who asked that I was okay and recovering. She took care of all my social media accounts and gave statements to reporters on my behalf. I was glad that I didn't have to deal with any of it.

Through it all, Daisy never left my side. She had given Sarah her keys, who packed her a bag with everything she needed until I was discharged. She slept every night on the tiny couch in my room. I was happy to have her by my side, especially at night. I had nightmares most nights and I was glad that I had her to wake me up or talk me down afterwards. This entire ordeal was going to land me in therapy for years to come.

When I saw myself in the mirror for the first time, I almost didn't recognize myself. My mossy green eyes and red hair told me that I was still me. My face was bruised and swollen, tape held my nose together, I had stitches down the side of my face. I was going to have some gnarly scars after this.

When it was finally time for me to leave, I couldn't be more excited. Kim brought me a pair of sweatpants and a large men's hoody to wear. I wouldn't be wearing anything else for a while. Changing was difficult, but I managed. My stubborn independence wouldn't let me ask anyone to help.

"There are a bunch of people waiting out the front door," Reid said as he walked back into the room. I had asked him to check out what was going on outside earlier, "Are you sure you don't want to go out the back?"

"No. I'm not hiding. I'm going to walk out those doors as proud as can be."

"More like wheeled out," Dean said as he gestured to the wheelchair sitting beside my bed. It was hospital policy that I had to be wheeled out and I was not too happy about it either.

"The second I am out those doors; I am standing up and walking straight to the car with a smile."

"Luckily you came with bodyguards ready to protect you from fans," Kim said. Everyone had come to see me leave the hospital. I was so grateful that I had these amazing friends who care so deeply for me. I don't know how I got so lucky.

"Okay Rebecca, you are good to go." The doctor said as she signed my discharge papers, "Just remember to take it easy. No performing until those ribs are fully healed. You could do some serious damage if you do too much too soon. I expect you back here in five weeks for a check-up."

"Thank you," I said.

"It's my job." She smiled, "Now, stay safe and let yourself heal."

"Don't worry, I've already cancelled our upcoming shows and studio time until Rebecca is better. We'll make sure to hide her guitar too." Mel assured the doctor making her chuckle as she left the room.

I was helped into the wheelchair by a nurse who then wheeled me out the front door. Mark had a car pulled up out front and behind him were a ton of people with signs cheering for me. It took my breath away seeing how many people just wanted to see me get better. I lifted my arm in a grateful wave and gave them my best smile. 

I was shuffled into the car and sat in the back. Daisy got in right beside me with Dean on her other side. Kim slid in the front with Mark while the rest went to their cars. We all drove back to my place. Dean and Mark were on either side helping me into my apartment. I was feeling out of breath just from the short walk from the car to my couch. "It feels good to be home." I sighed.

Daisy sat at the other end of the couch, placing my feet on her lap. I wished she could curl up beside me, but I had to be careful. I was going to be treated like bubble wrap for the next little while until we were sure that I would be okay.

"So Rebecca." Mel started as she sat on the chair beside me, "Now that you are out of the hospital, there are a few things I'd like to discuss with you."

"Yeah, sure go for it," I said.

"Well, I've been contacted by several news programs looking for a statement and or an interview with you regarding what happened. We've been feeding them all the same line that you're focusing on your healing and want your privacy to be respected at this time."

"Now, we do have to be careful about what you do say." Andrew said as he fell into lawyer mode, "They're pushing this trial forwards as it is a high-profile case which is pretty much cut and dry. However, until there is a conviction, we do have to be careful about what is released to the public as there is always the potential to damage the case."

"I don't want to talk about the specifics of the case with people." I reassured him, "I don't want to give any power to Ben or Paul or even Lillian. I want people to forget their names. I want them to remember mine. I want them to know that I refuse to be anyone's victim."

"Now that's how you start a movement." Dean smiled with overflowing pride.

"This isn't about starting a movement. I just want people to know that they're not alone. That one act of violence, one act of homophobia, does not get to define us. We are people. I am a person who is fucking good at making music and I will not let those assholes make my life about them. That's how they win. They do not get to win."

"That's the Red we all know." Mel smiled, "Although we are going to need to work on your swearing for interviews. We don't want to get fined." I just gave her the finger with a smirk.

We all chatted for a bit before I started to get worn out. Dean and Daisy helped me to my bedroom so I could nap. Daisy started to leave but I grabbed her hand. She turned back to me with her beautiful slate grey eyes meeting mine. "Stay with me." I hadn't had her in my arms for so long. I missed sleeping next to her.

"I don't want to hurt you."

"You won't. I just want you close." I gave her a sleepy smile. She let go of my hand and walked to the door. For a moment, I was sad that she was leaving, but then the door closed, and she was sliding into bed beside me.

"Roll over, you get to be little spoon today." She said. I smiled as I turned onto my side and felt her arms wrap around me. Despite the fact that I felt like I'd been run over by a car, being in her arms made everything that much better. As my eyes closed, I could feel her breath on the back of my ear. Her sweet voice whispering the faintest, "I love you." I was too tired to reply but I still managed to smile. I just had one more thought before my eyes closed.

I'm going to marry that girl.

*****

Author's note:

Only a few more chapters left to go! Hope you're ready for some feel good moments.