Chapter 16

The road trip was so much fun. We sang along to the radio, cracked jokes and just enjoyed each other's company. Dad texted me asking me to pick up some supplies for the weekend so we stopped at a grocery store before we pulled into the marina. We unloaded our bags at the refuelling dock before Dean went to park the car.

Daisy and I sat on the dock with our feet in the cold water as my dad pulled up in his boat. His long grey hair was blowing in the wind and he wore a sleeveless shirt that showed off his full sleeve of tattoos. You could tell he was my dad from a mile off. Between our style, hair and even our matching eyes, it was obvious. Most of who I am, I got from him.

"Shortcake! Come help me dock." My dad called out.

I stood, grabbing the boat to ease it in before grabbing the ropes. I tied the boat up as my dad cut the engine. Once I was sure it was secure I jumped in the boat to wrap him up in a big hug, "I missed you dad!"

"I missed you too. You staying out of trouble?" He asked.

"Never."

He chuckled, patting me on the back and pulling me into another side hug. He looked up at the dock where Daisy was standing awkwardly. I could feel the nerves pouring off of her. I was going to say something but my dad beat me to the punch. "You must be Daisy! Let me get out so I can greet you properly. I'm not sure if Rebecca warned you, but we are a family of huggers!"

I laughed as my dad climbed out of the boat to give Daisy a hug. "No, but that's okay. I'm a hugger too Mr. Daniels."

"Please call me Evan." Dad said, "Now where is Dean?"

"Right here Evan!" Dean came jogging down the path from the parking lot to give dad a hug.

"How is it that you seem to have a new tattoo every time I see you?" Dad asked.

"That's causes he does," I said.

"Hey, I have to keep up my bad boy persona."

"You're not a bad boy." Dad laughed as he reached up to ruffle Dean's hair, "I don't think I ever grounded you once."

"Well, that's partly because you didn't like grounding us. I remember Sarah doing most of the grounding." I said.

"Then you'd sneak us ice cream after mom went to bed," Dean added.

"And if you ever tell her that, I'm never giving you any more ice cream." We all laughed and began loading up the boat while Dad refuelled. I settled down at the front of the boat with Daisy, wrapping her up in my arms.

"I love your boat Evan," Daisy said once my dad was back behind the wheel.

"Oh yes, Moody Blues is my baby." Dad said giving the boat a pat, "I love her with all my heart. I've always said the woman I love most in the world are Rebecca, Sarah and Moody Blues."

"He barely lets anyone drive the boat," Dean said.

"He just doesn't let you drive the boat after you nearly wrecked it," I said causing everyone to laugh but Dean.

Dad gently steered the boat out of the marina before he hit the accelerator and took off across the water. We didn't talk much on the way over. I pointed out some of my favourite places to visit to Daisy and told her the names of the islands as we went. 

After about fifteen minutes we pulled up to the dock where Sarah and their two dogs Maggie and Lou were waiting. They were both rescue dogs and were mostly pointers. Maggie was white and covered in chocolate spots while Lou was white with large red spots. They were also the sweetest dogs ever. I loved them.