Chapter 2.3 (Part 2)

Glancing again at his watch, he stood. "I have to get back to the kids. Thanks again, Jane. If you ever need anything...I owe you one."

Her mouth tilted into a funny smile. "I'll keep that in mind." She pushed herself slowly off the couch and walked him to the door. "It's good to see you again, Ty."

"It's good to see you too." Which was, he decided, the truth in a strange sort of way. "Good night, Jane."

Her arm brushed his when she reached unexpectedly around him to open the door. His reaction to the casual touch seemed out of proportion—which only illustrated how stressful his day had been, he mused. It had left him completely rattled. He made his exit while he could still do so with something approaching dignity.

Jane waited until Tyler had closed the door behind him before she sagged bonelessly onto the couch. Oh, wow, she thought dazedly. The guy had been gorgeous in high school. He was even more so now that he had a few years of maturity on him.

He still seemed as skittish and elusive with her as he had ever been. And he still looked at her in a way that made her heart pound in her throat. It gave her some comfort that she managed to hide her reactions to him.

This time, she told herself, she would not let Tyler break her heart. If anything happened between them now—and she still wasn't ruling that out—it would be on her terms.