Chapter 10.2 (Part 1)

When Jane's doorbell rand Friday evening, she rushed to answer it, rather surprised that Tyler was early. He was usually predictably punctual. It pleased her that he'd been impatient to see her.

   But Tyler wasn't the recipient of her bright smile when she threw open the door. "Hello, Mark. Have I forgotten we were supposed to meet this evening?"

   "No. I stopped on my way home from the office, and I promise I'll only bother you for a minute. I need your signature on a form. It's one we overlooked earlier. My mistake, I'm afraid."

   "Come in," Jane offered, holding the door wider. "How have you been?"

   "Hanging in," he said with a shrug, stepping past her into the living room.

   She closed the door. "And your boys?"

   "They're doing as well as can be expected, considering that our family is in the middle of a breakup."

   She didn't know what to say in response to his bitter tone. To her relief, Mark made it unnecessary for her to say anything. He reached into the pocket of his jacket and pulled out a neatly folded sheet of paper. "I'm sure you have plans for the evening, and I promised not to hold you up for long. You need to sign at the bottom of the page, on the line I marked with red X."

   "Have a seat. Would you like some coffee while I read this?"

   He looked tempted. "I don't..."

   "The coffee'w already made," she assured him.

   "In that care, Yeah, I'd like a cup."

   She smiled. "I'll be right back."

   Settling on the couch, he loosened his tie. "Take your time."

   Jane glanced at her watch on the way to the kitchen. She still had half an hour or so before Tyler was due to arrive. It was a good thing she'd been ahead of schedule this evening for a change.

   "I forgot to ask if you take anything in your coffee," she said a few minutes later, carrying a filled mug back into the living room.

   "No, I take it black." He smiled as he accepted the cup from her. "Thanks."

   She sank onto the couch beside him and picked up the form he'd laid on the coffee table. Mark siloed his coffee while she looked it over, asked a couple of questions, and then signed it with the pen he handed to her. She returned the pen and folded the form along its original lines.

   "Good coffee," Mark said, setting the mug on a coaster.

   She smiled. "You look a bit more relaxed now."

   "Yeah. It's been a stressful day. First chance I've had since breakfast to sit down and unwind a little."

   "The high-powered life of a small-town accountant," Jane murmured.

   He made a face at her. "I know mockery when I hear it," he said, but showed no sign of offense.

   "Not mockery," she assured him. "I was just teasing."

   "Jane Doherty's specialty."

   She shrugged. "I just can't resist sometimes."

   He turned on the couch, resting one arm on the back. His jacket parted, revealing his pudgy middle, ruining the study pose he seemed to be attempting. "You always make me smile, I'll give you that. I enjoy spending time with you, Jane."