Chapter 6.5

Everyone in town had known about Jane's unfortunate home life, of course, Tyler reflected. Her father has spent many a night drying out in the town jail and her mother was known as a vague, quiet woman with unfocused eyes and a fondness for cheap wine.  Jane has been well liked by her peers because of her outgoing nature and wicked sense of humor, but her parents had been a definite social disadvantage with the adults in town. Especially the other parents, who were reluctant for their sons to date her, or their daughters to spend too much time with her. As if her parents' drinking was a contagious disease that Jane might carry, Tyler thought with a frown, looking back now with an adults' view of her youth.

   How much had he been influenced by the whispers and rumors? Had his failure to ask her out then, even knowing there was a strong attraction between them, been due as much to unconscious snobbery as to wariness of their differences?

   And wouldn't that have been hypocritical, coming from one of the wild Hamiltons?

   Because the question made him uncomfortable, he abruptly changed the subject. "Have you heard from Brent lately?"

   Sarah's sigh carried clearly through the phone lines. "He called this morning. He wanted to know if—to use his words—I had 'drop my load' yet."

   Tyler chucked. "That sounds exactly like the way he would have worse it. The kid's a fruitcake."

   "I don't know, Tyler, I worry about him. He just sounds so cocky and reckless sometimes that I can't help being afraid he's going to get a rude awakening if he isn't careful. Does that make any sense to you?

   It made entirely too much sense, actually. Tyler had once been smug and cocky, himself, so certain his life was progressing exactly the way he had planned. So confident that nothing could go wrong. So stupidly blind to what had been going on right under his nose.

   "Brent will be okay, Sarah," He gruffly assured her. "You just take care of yourself, you hear? Your kid brothers can look after themselves."

   Though she was barely a year older than Tyler and six years older than Brent, Sarah had always taken her responsibility as the elder too seriously. She'd always watched out for them and worried about them—which was one reason Tyler had never told her about his experience in Washington last year. She had groves for him enough. She had her own life to enjoy now.

   "I know you can both take care of yourselves," she answered him affectionately. "It's just that I want you both to be happy."

   "And Brent and I want the same for you, sis. It was great talking to you, but I'd better go now or I'll be late picking Jane up."

   "Tell her hello from me, will you?"

   "Yes, I'll do that. And tell Jake to call as soon as the baby arrived so we can all come admire it."

   "I hope that will be very soon," Sarah said fervently.

   "So do I. See you, Sarah."

   He hung up the phone and glanced at his watch.

   It was time to pick up Jane.