Chapter 10.3

Jane wasn't sure he'd ever remember what he'd eaten. He spent spent most of the meal studying her across the table, answering her comments in monosyllables.

   "I'm beginning to wonder if I should wave a hand in front of your face to see if anyone's there," she commented after yet another conversational gambit died for lack of input on his part.

   "I'm listening to you," he defended himself.

   "I know you're listening, but you aren't responding. Is there something on your mind this evening? Something bothering you?"

   He looked down at his plate. "No."

   "Are you annoyed with me about something?"

   "Of course not."

   "PMS?"

   He gave her a look. "Cute."

   "Well, come on, Ty, you've hardly said a dozen words since you got here."

   "I'm sorry if I've been rude."

   "You haven't been rude. Just...distant."

   "Then I'm sorry I've been distant."

   "Are you sure there isn't something you want to talk about?"

   He glanced up at her. "I'd like to tell you to be careful around Mark Roster, but something tells me you wouldn't take it too well."

   "You're right," she agreed equably. "I would probably point out to you—again—that Mark is my friend and my accountant."

   "Even if I warned you again that he isn't exactly a choirboy? That it was because of his fooling around that his wife is divorcing him?"

   "I would tell you again that his divorce is none of my business. And that I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself with men."

   "Then I won't say any of the above," Tyler conceded. "I don't want to quarrel with you this evening."

   "Neither do I." She smiled at him. "So I'm really glad you've decided not to mentioned Mark. Would you like dessert? I made peach cobbler."

   "Peach cobbler?" His frown lightened.

   "It's still warm. And I have ice cream."

   That almost made him smile. "I suppose I could eat a little more."

   She chuckled and got up from the table. "I'll dish it up. Help yourself to coffee."

   "Want me to pour you a cup?"

   "Yes, please."

   The peach cobbler and ice cream seemed to put him in a better mood. Jane made a mental note that sweets were a way to perk him up. By the time he had polished off a generous helping, he was almost cheerful.

   "So what would you like to do now?" she asked when the cobbler had been devoured and the dishes cleared away. "Watch TV? Play scrabble? Wash your car,"

   "I think we can come up with something more interesting that any of those options—particularly the latter."

   The way he was suddenly looking at her made her smile and move closer to him. "We could always alphabetize my pantry."

   He slipped his arms around her waist. "Try again."

   Looping her arms around his neck, she pretended to give it some thought. "Organize my sock drawer?"

   "Do you keep your socks in your bedroom?"

   "Of course."

   His mouth crooked into a smile. "Why don't we go in there and discuss it?"

   "Why don't we?" she murmured, rubbing her lips lightly against his.

   They never got around to organizing the sock drawer, of course. And Jane soon discovers that sweets weren't the only way to put Tyler in a good mood.