Chapter 9.1 (Part 2) R-18

Even Jane found it hard to be amused when Tyler kicked off the rest of his clothes, tossed aside her lacy undergarments and then, finally, brought them flesh-to-flesh. The sound that escaped her more closely resembled a gasp that a laugh.

   Tyler's rough groan vibrated through her. "I have to warn you," he muttered, "it's been a long time. I can't guarantee fireworks."

   "Don't you know," she asked as she snuggled more closely against him, "that every time you kiss me, I see fireworks?"

   He smoothed his hand down her bare side. "How is it that you always seem to know exactly what I need to hear?"

   "I only say what I think."

   "I know. That's one of the things I've always liked best about you." His hand closed her right breast, kneading gently. "One of the things," he repeated, his voice going hoarse.

   Sliding one smooth leg against his tougher one, she smiled shakily. "Are you saying you admire both my mind and body?"

   He didn't smile in return. "I admire everything about you, Jane Doherty."

   Almost unbearably touched by his sincerity, she wrapped herself around him. "Let me show you how much I admire you in return, Tyler Hamilton."

   She hadn't been joking when she'd said she didn't need seduction—but she suspected Tyler needed it very badly. Not because he was hesitant about what yet we're doing—it was more than obvious that he was willing and ready—but because he needed, just for a little while, not to be the one in control. The one responsible for everyone else's happiness and wellbeing.

   Pushing at his shoulders, she shifted and rolled until he was on his back and she was draped over him. "This time," she murmured, "is for you."

   He tried a time or two to take charge again, but she was adamant, holding his arms when he would have reached for her, placing her fingers over his mouth when he would have spoken. "Let me make love to you." She whispered.

   And then she did, nibbling and kissing her way from his lips to his earlobes and down his jaw to his chin. She pressed openmouthed kisses on his throat, enjoying the frantic beating of his pulse beneath her lips. And then she lived lower to taste the nipples nested in a dusting of golden hair. His breath caught sharply in his throat when she wriggled even lower.

   "Jane..."

   "Did I mention," she asked, stroking him admiringly, "that you are absolutely perfect?"

   He was also very strong, as he proved when he suddenly hauled her upward and rolled her beneath him, the love accomplished almost before she knew what he intended. He couldn't play anymore, she realized. He needed—and so did she. His hands were shaking when he donned protection, trembling so badly that he fumbled with the task. The uncharacteristic curse he muttered beneath his breath made her giggle.

   "If you're laughing at me," he warned, bringing his mouth back to hers.

   "I'm laughing with you," she assured him, gathering him close.

   "I'm not laughing," he growled, but she saw a faint smile on his lips just before he kissed her.

   Then he took her breath completely away when he buried himself deeply, completely inside her.

   He hadn't promised her fireworks, but he gave them to her, anyway.

   By the time her heartbeat had slowed to near-normal and her breathing had returned to a more regular rhythm, she knew there would be no going back. Before today, she had been able to avoid the L-word, even to herself, when describing her feelings about Tyler. Now it was no longer possible to resist admitting that she was head over heels in love. She had probably been in love with him since the day her kissed her behind the school gym fifteen years ago.

   Jane has always had a strong belief in fate. And she knew now that Tyler was hers.

   As for whether she was his—well, that remained to be seen.