Chapter 9.1 (Part 1)

Jane has closed the drapes in her bedroom so that the room was dark, except for the small, dimmed lamp on the nightstand. Her ruffled comforter was turned back invitingly, revealing dress, soft sheets. There was no doubt that the scene had been set in advance.

Tyler turned to her with a quizzical smile. She returned it with somewhat smug smile of her own. "You can't blame a girl for hoping," she said kicking off her shoes.

He laughed, then grabbed her around the waist and tumbled her into the bed. "You," he said, landing on top of her, "are incorrigible."

Maybe. But she had made him laugh. And that was something she'd bet few other woman had been able to offer him lately. Eager to taste his smile, she reached up to pull his mouth down to hers.

His laughter evaporated in a flash of fire. Gathering her into his arms, he swept her into the heat with him.

Her short skirt had ridden high on her thighs and Tyler didn't hesitate to explore the expanse of skin revealed beneath it. He slid his pal. Slowly from her knee to the bunched hem, then slipped beneath it.

Catching her breath, Jane fumbled with his shirt, trying to rein in her impatience enough to keep from ripping off the buttons. He had a meeting later, she reminded herself. He had to wear this shirt. But if it didn't come open soon, he was going to have to go to his meeting wearing only a jacket and tie!

Fortunately for his professional reputation, she was able to remove the garment without damaging it. She threw it aside, not caring if it had a few wrinkles later. "Oh, my," she crooned, spreading her hands over his exceptionally fine chest. "Have I mentioned that you are the most beautiful man in the world?"

He lifted his head from a thorough exploration of the scoop of her T-shirt. "Are you trying to embarrass me again?"

Sliding her fingers into his luxuriously thick hair, she asked, "Does it embarrass you to hear that you're beautiful?"

"Real men aren't supposed to be beautiful."

"I know. It really ticks me off that you're prettier than I am. But I'm getting over it."

Tyler chuckled, shaking his head in exasperation. "Would you be quiet? I'm supposed to be giving the compliments. I'm trying to seduce you here."

She grinned and cupped his face between her hands. "Uh, Ty? Maybe you haven't realized this, but I'm pretty well seduced already."

He unsnapped the waistband of her skirt and began to ease it down her hips, revealing skimpy bikini panties. "I should have known," he said conversationally, "that you wouldn't even take this seriously."

Lifting her head, she kissed him. "Trust me, Ty. I am taking this very seriously."

"I'm glad to hear that," he murmured, tugging at her shirt.