Chapter 6.2 (Part 2)

Waiting only until the nanny had followed Tom into the house, Habe pointed a finger at Tyler. "Don't fire her."

   "She's already fired," Tyler answered flatly. "I just haven't had a chance to tell her yet."

   Jane felt like throwing up her hands in exasperation. "Honestly, Ty, if you insist on perfection in a nanny, you'll never keep one more than a couple of weeks. Everyone makes mistakes."

   "She never even heard him leave the house."

   "I'm sure she was busy. Maybe Amy woke up, or something. And you're underestimating your son. Tom is a very smart little boy. All you need to do is warn Mrs. Barns to keep that in mind from now on. I'm sure she'll be extra-vigilant with him in the future."

   "How can I be sure?" he challenged. "You don't even know her."

   "She looked nice."

   "Oh, well, that changed everything."

   "I know you were worried, but there's no need for sarcasm."

   "Worried?" His rigid shoulders suddenly sagged. "Damn it, Jane, I was petrified."

   Softening, she took a step toward him and laid a hand on his arm. "I know you were. I saw it in your eyes."

   "Tara was almost hysterical when she called me. I must have flown here—I hardly remember the drive. A dozen possibilities were running through my head—and none of them were good."

   "Tyler, I know. But Tom's fine."

   "If you hadn't been at the pool..."

   "But I was, thank goodness. And I made him promise never to do anything like that again."

   "I'll make sure he doesn't."

   "Yes. But—"

   He studied her face from beneath half-lowered lashes. "But what?"

   "Just remember he's only five," she couldn't resist saying.

   "I know how to raise my son."

   His tone was cool. Distant. It was hard to believe this was the same man who had kissed her senseless on her couch. "I'm sure you do. I'm just very fond of Tom."

   Her hand was still resting on his arm. Though he'd shown no sign of noticing it, he stepped away, breaking the contact between them. "Thank you for rescuing my son for a second time, Jane. It seems my family is in your debt once again."

   For some reason, he sounded more annoyed than grateful. "Don't be ridiculous. All I did was walk him home."

   "And I appreciate it. Would you like me to give you a lift? You can't be comfortable walking around dressed like that."

   Her cover-up was almost as concealing as the short T-shirt dresses she often wore in the summer. Only a hint of her bikini was visible through the fine black mesh. She was perfectly comfortable walking around this easy. "You have things to take care of here. I'll be fine."

   "You're sure?"

   "I'm sure." She was beginning to get irritated, herself. She knew Tyler had been through a stressful ordeal, but she saw no reason for him to suddenly treat her like a passing acquaintance. It wasn't as if she'd done anything to cause his problem with his son—even if Tom had used her for an excuse for going AWOL.

   "I'll call you," Tyler said as she started away.

   She wasn't appeased. "For another thank-you dinner? Don't bother."

   "Jane..."

   "Goodbye, Tyler."

   He didn't try to detain her when she turned and walked briskly away. He hadn't just annoyed her, she realized as she walked through her front door some fifteen minutes later. He had actually hurt her feelings. She hadn't fully realized until now that he still had the power to do that to her. And she didn't like it at all.